PDA

View Full Version : 4 clowns in one tank

carriej
10/02/2012, 02:34 PM
Hi Folks,

I know you're not supposed to do this.. But I had to ask.

I really want to have two separate species of clowns in my 6 foot tank. I am having a HELL of a time deciding which species I want.. So I feel if I could pick two I would feel better.. lol

Is this even remotely possible?

D-Nak
10/02/2012, 06:02 PM
Hi Folks,

I know you're not supposed to do this.. But I had to ask.

I really want to have two separate species of clowns in my 6 foot tank. I am having a HELL of a time deciding which species I want.. So I feel if I could pick two I would feel better.. lol

Is this even remotely possible?

If what you're looking for is someone to tell you it's possible, look no further than these boards. However, I think the first part of your first sentence of your post says it all.

carriej
10/03/2012, 05:48 AM
Bah.. I know that I KNOW better.. But I'm like a bad kid sometimes.

I thought MAYBE I could get away with it in a 6 foot tank... Are the little dudes really just that nasty? They always look so cute and innocent at the LFS... Unfortunate that they are such demons.

psusocr
10/03/2012, 06:49 AM
IMO there are soo many cool fish i dont know why anyone would want two pairs..

carriej
10/03/2012, 08:35 AM
Share some of these cool fish with me.. Must be reef safe, maybe you can change my mind!

psusocr
10/03/2012, 11:38 AM
if you go to marine depot and click "reef safe" theres a whole slew of awesome fish, i love blue gudgeon's, dartfish, firefish, any tangs of course, mandarins, wrasses, cardinals..i like the smaller ones because most will swim in pairs and some will also breed( cardinals) soo many fish to choose from !!

synofreak
10/06/2012, 08:34 AM
Due to recent situations.... my hand was kinda forced to do this.

5' 120g tank. Mated pair of GSM(although haven't spawned in a while) with lots of BTA's. This has been their home since 2006.

Added bonded trio of Occys with their Haddoni a month ago(came from my 125g).

Holding my breath... but not a bit of aggression yet. Things may change if either start to spawn.

velvetelvis
10/06/2012, 10:34 AM
Share some of these cool fish with me.. Must be reef safe, maybe you can change my mind!

Even if you feel like being "a bad kid" and doing it just to defy people who tell you it's a bad idea, let the fact that you probably would rather not tear your tank apart a few months down the road in order to remove clownfish that are fighting change your mind. It can be tough to decide--I'm the queen of changing my mind--but any animals you add to your system are completely dependent on you for their well-being. Think of their needs first.

More than one pair of clownfish in the same tank more often than not results in bullying and even death for the subordinate fish. Settle on a favorite species, get a pair, and fill the rest of your tank with compatible, reef-safe non-clownfish. You can always set up another tank down the road if you find another clownfish species that you just can't resist.

FTDelta
10/06/2012, 02:59 PM
I agree with not having more than 2 Clownfish in same tank regardless of size of tank. That is unless you enjoy watching your clownfish get beat up and die. Don't do it.