PDA

View Full Version : Peroxide for Treating Dinoflagellites

MHG
10/02/2012, 04:26 PM
I thought I started this thread last night but I guess I never hit the submit button...

Several Google searches have yielded people dosing 1ml per 10 gallons of peroxide for treating Dino... Some mention squirting it directly on patches of this rude infestation directly... However I am confused if I should be dosing the entire 6ml (for my 60 cube) at one time?

My "Armor of Gods" dont seem to like it much but they soon open back up with no ill effect...

I am taking a few weeks off and I am planning my assault on this weed to include daily scrubbing, sock changes and dosing (combined with a few days of darkness)

MHG
10/09/2012, 09:03 AM
well i gave up this method. I cant seem to find any dosing info and it was doing nothing.... I have moved on to chemi clean...

TealCobra
10/09/2012, 09:22 AM
We had mixed results. We did that dosage rate on our 58g but added it slowly with a gravity fed container. It worked on this tank really well. I have also had it not work on our 29g Biocube. I found that elevated pH with Kalkwasser to be very helpful on the 29g. You'll definitely need a pH monitor and be very persistent to keep the pH elevated nearly all the time. It took about a month to knock them out. Good luck with the Chemi Clean but I'm under the impression that stuff won't help with Dino's.

rrasco
10/09/2012, 10:31 AM
Didn't work well for me. Thought it was, but not really. Some spot treatments broke up the larger colonies but getting my nutrients under control really allowed my tank to clean itslef up. That and I grow the stuff in my fuge (trying to kill it off completely with GFO though).

doosiec
10/09/2012, 02:05 PM
Kalkwasser worked for me at best.
There's a total darkness method too, but I like Kalkwasser, it's cheap, beneficial and easy to control.

If you choose the Kalkwasser method, you will need to follow the regime for a few weeks before dinos is finally eradicated.

MHG
10/09/2012, 03:25 PM
Will my ph is typically 8.6 during the day....most of what I have been seeing says to raise it to that anyway....

I am taking a multi prong approach...

Daily blasting with a turkey blaster
Chemi clean.... Stopped the stringy bubbles 90%
Turned off my biopellets
5ml per day of zeovit coral snow
Microbacter7 .
Reduced light cycle

In two weeks I am on leave for 3 weeks so I may switch to prodibio biogest and bioptim as some friends have had good luck with that. But so far so good. I mostly just have some chocolate chip looking spots with a little fuz... My glass is now clean...so I may just do a daily scrubbing and vacuuming along with what I am doing now....

Monroereef
10/09/2012, 09:12 PM
I used 1ml per 10 gallon for dino for 15 days with 20% WC per week.
It got rid of it completely.