PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning sand.

rossco838
10/02/2012, 10:39 PM
I recently had to tear down my systems that I only had set up for about a month and a half because I was moving. I took all the sand and put it in buckets I was wondering what would be the best way to clean the sand up before placing it back in the tanks. I don't really want to have to buy new sand as like I said it is only about a month and a half old. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

thegrun
10/02/2012, 10:49 PM
Put a couple of pounds of the sand in the bucket and blast it with a garden hose at full volume until the water runs clear, then flush it with clean salt water.

usefulidiot213
10/02/2012, 11:59 PM
You don't have to flush it with salt water, but you will need to flush it with RODI water before putting it back into your tank.
To be honest, it will be a total pain in the arse, and you will probably still have Nutrient issues. I would recommend just buying new sand. If you want to save a buck, buy mostly dead sand then seed it with a bag of live sand over top. Then take the case of a pen or something long & hollow to poke threw the sand bed and seed it with the live sand.

downbeach
10/03/2012, 07:27 AM
I probably wouldn't use it either. How much sand are you talking about? How long has it been in buckets? It doesn't take too long for it to start forming Hydrogen Sulfide.

Here's a read on it:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/rhf/index.php#9

coralsnaked
10/03/2012, 08:53 AM
Either way washed sand or new sand and you are talking about a new cycle. Just skip it and used crushed coral or aragonite.

Do you need a sandbed?

Happy Reefing