PDA

View Full Version : Reactor Manifold pump question

PotRoast
10/03/2012, 11:01 AM
I'm going to use one sumbersible pump connected to a manifold to run water to all my reactors.

I need to replace these reactor pumps:

1. MJ 1200 295 gph (powerhead flow rate) / 1300 gph (circulation flow rate)
2. MJ 1200
3. Mag5
4. Eheim 1250

Q1: On the MJ1200, what is the difference between 'powerhead flow rate' and 'circulation flow rate' ? I assume that I am using them as powerheads since they are used with my CaRx and GFORx.....

I presume I need to replace about 1400 gph (which is the total of all the pumps listed, consideing powerhead flow rate).

Q2: How big of a pump should I buy for the manifold? I assume 1400 gph minimum, but should I go much bigger than that? (looking at Mag18)

tkeracer619
10/03/2012, 11:07 AM
A mag 18 on a manifold will add the same amount of heat to your system as a 150w heater stuck on. Something to consider is that you don't use the amount of water listed on any of those pumps. The amount used is drastically less but you definitely want a good amount of extra to provide some consistency. Otherwise every time you adjust one thing the rest change.

Look at the Waterblaster HY 5000 from coralvue. It will use less then half the power and will have plenty of flow for your manifold. You will probably have enough left over to run a secondary return to your display.
http://www.aquacave.com/Water-Blaster-HY-5000-Circulating-Water-Pump-P2979C770.aspx