PDA

View Full Version : rocks sand and flow.

cap11885
10/03/2012, 05:38 PM
so ive noticed that my rocks are getting.... fuzzy. they are forming small grey fuzzies for lack of a better way to explain. its not algae i can vacume it right off the rocks during water changes. i have about two inches of sand and if i disturb it at all it clouds up the water really bad. i have four good size hydor pumps on a controller to change the flow up. but i have a feeling that crap is building up and will reach a point where it crashes my tank. im getting occasional ammonia spikes as well and i run carbon when i notice. i have seen no negitive reaction from any corals or fish. it worries me i feel as though im not removing enough waste. i skimm but dont get much skimmate and i feel i should acctually be feeding more then i do. any ideas or suggestions that could help out? im just trying to be proactive instead of reactive.

cap11885
10/03/2012, 07:47 PM
anyone

hollister
10/03/2012, 08:39 PM
You could mix up small areas before each water change , but i would not do to much.

You want good steady water flow constant. You dont want low or no flow areas. Then another type of HOB bio filter to collect unwwanted waste and uneatin food.

cap11885
10/03/2012, 08:47 PM
You could mix up small areas before each water change , but i would not do to much.

You want good steady water flow constant. You dont want low or no flow areas. Then another type of HOB bio filter to collect unwwanted waste and uneatin food.

what about my corals that prefer low flow?

hollister
10/03/2012, 08:51 PM
Which coral. Most like medium to high. Set the flow up in a circular motion and multiple PH's might be needed depending on setup.

Whene you feed add extra and whatch how it floats , readjust as needed.

Sometimes you need to move coral around to please it. Flow more important then coral placement.

sean357
10/03/2012, 08:51 PM
Get a big turkey baster ( you can get a special reef one with an extender if you don't want to have your hands in the water for that long) and blast your rocks let then let what comes off settle on the bottom (is this system bare bottom?) a few times before doing a water change. When you change the water suck from the bottom including any nooks and crannies where the detritus is settling to suck this stuff out

hollister
10/03/2012, 08:53 PM
Get a big turkey baster ( you can get a special reef one with an extender if you don't want to have your hands in the water for that long) and blast your rocks let then let what comes off settle on the bottom (is this system bare bottom?) a few times before doing a water change. When you change the water suck from the bottom including any nooks and crannies where the detritus is settling to suck this stuff out

This may help but not cure the problem. Remove the unwanted excess debris befoer it collects. From good flow and feeding scedules.

todd141
10/04/2012, 08:09 AM
I get the same thing on my rocks. No matter how much I clean them off with the turkey baster, it always comes back. I have decent flow in my tank, too. Everything, everywhere gets flow. It really bugs me, too.

When I change water, I always try to get out what I can of particulate floating in the water column - but nothing seems to help. I use a filter sock in my sump, change it every 3 or 4 days.

I think I'm going to buy a Magnum HOT Filter and run it periodically to help clean up the water some. The micron filter should almost be as good as a diatom filter but easier to maintian.

cap11885
10/04/2012, 04:47 PM
i almost wish i had gone bare bottom but i love all the life my sand brings and the creatures that wouldnt survive without it.