PDA

View Full Version : sps color after acclimation

scarface70706
10/04/2012, 02:00 PM
I finally got my hands on my first sps corals and I acclimated them properly and was wondering how long will it take for them to regain their color in a well established tank. Thank you in advance.

scarface70706
10/04/2012, 10:21 PM
bump

o2manyfish
10/04/2012, 10:38 PM
There are lots of variables... Assuming your water parameters are on, your lights are perfect, your lighting schedule is ideal you can see color start to come back slowly in a week or so.

But then the variables move from your control to the coral. Some corals can takes months to recover from a change.

I have an sun lit frag tank, and I can place a browned out coral outside in the sunlight and the same coral in my display tank - Same water conditions (they are connected) just different light... The coral inside can start coloring up in 2 days, and the same coral inside will take weeks to get to the same point.

Lots of variables.... no simple answer.

Dave B

bnumair
10/04/2012, 10:39 PM
there is no set time. it can take 2-4 weeks or even more for sps to get colors back.
i have a huge colony of Blueberry Acro i purchased 8" across x 4" tall that is still browish under my AI vega at 25% and has been in my tank for about a month. my parameters are perfect.

scarface70706
10/04/2012, 11:10 PM
yea i recently bought a blue acro and a strawberry short cake. (both are colonies) i woke up this morning and noticed the strawberry was all white :( of course the most expensive one is bleaching. the blue one is starting to color up around the tips and slowly working its way to the core of the colony.

i have 2 radions and 2 mp40s if that helps

parameters:

Ca: ~400
Alk: ~9
Mag: ~135
PH: 8.2
temp: 78

scarface70706
10/04/2012, 11:10 PM
yea i recently bought a blue acro and a strawberry short cake. (both are colonies) i woke up this morning and noticed the strawberry was all white :( of course the most expensive one is bleaching. the blue one is starting to color up around the tips and slowly working its way to the core of the colony.

i have 2 radions and 2 mp40s if that helps

parameters:

Ca: ~400
Alk: ~9
PH: 8.2
temp: 78

Reef264
10/04/2012, 11:22 PM
It has to do with your Nutrient levels, Lighting, & Flow.The Acro's you listed, as well as most others, Love low Nutrients(PO4&NO3), good Flow, and really like Light.Finding the right level isn't hard.Light acclimation is how I find the "sweet spot", move them up from the bottom about 1 time a week, till you find that place they really like.Adjust flow as needed.

-Ray

scarface70706
10/05/2012, 11:28 PM
Well so far its not looking good :( heres some pics and you guys can tell me what you think. as of right now i lost most faith but id like to hear what you guys think. should i wait it out? or pull the plug? its been a sad few days.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w517/scarface70706/DSCN2221.jpg

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w517/scarface70706/DSCN2220.jpg

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w517/scarface70706/DSCN2218.jpg

http://http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w517/scarface70706/DSCN2223.jpg

scarface70706
10/05/2012, 11:29 PM
Above was the strawberry short cake and below is the blue acro

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w517/scarface70706/DSCN2223.jpg

o2manyfish
10/06/2012, 12:18 AM
Pictures are so blue its hard to tell... Can you adjust the white balance on the camera and try to get a shot with some tissue color ?

rchavez
10/06/2012, 12:32 AM
Just keep up with your maintenance, test regularly and of course be patient. :)

scarface70706
10/06/2012, 12:41 AM
yea sorry ill try again tomorrow and turn the lights on white only for the pic. but the strawberry short cake really doesnt have any tissue. theres brown strands in some areas on it but it looks like dead algae or polyps. the blue one has way more color then the ssc but its not a lot when comparing to that. it does have some blue tips and the core of it isn't as bone white as the other. just very disappointed and discouraged that this is my first experience with sps and seeing the outcome of this event. ive read and seen others on here with corals just added and they dont look any where as beat up as mine. if anything thiers looks great lol

scarface70706
10/06/2012, 12:46 AM
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w517/scarface70706/DSCN2225.jpg

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w517/scarface70706/DSCN2227.jpg

Drew707
10/06/2012, 01:00 AM
Looks like alk burn

Dexters Reef
10/06/2012, 01:14 AM

is that a type-o? Also, how often do you check Alk, and what ranges do you get? You want this to be as stable as possible. I bleached and RTN'd my first sps because of alk, but ended up correcting things in time and saved the coral. Its been improving, but slowly...2 months later and its still only at about 60% its original color.

What size is your tank? Do you dose anything or use any additives? What are your phosphate levels? Phosphate is important with SPS, and if you dont have a kit for it, I would suggest starting by getting one and finding a value.

G4546
10/06/2012, 01:41 AM
Reef264 is correct. Nutrients could be the problem. You never listed your P04 or NO3, if they are "high" this could be the issue here.

scarface70706
10/06/2012, 01:44 AM
sorry yea it was a type o ill fix it but yea its ~1350 i think its border line high. my alk is around 9. my po4 is around 3 checked by a salifert kit. i use brs's kalk in my ato about 4 tbs. in a 5g jug. should i reduce it to only 2? i go through ato water every 4-5 days. regarding my dkh level it could of been a false reading from the test kit from api.

scarface70706
10/06/2012, 01:51 AM
ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate is around 10. i do weekly water changes of 15 - 20%. run a fuge at night, run bio pellets (half recommended amount) ran right into a Reef octo xs160 skimmer. have two reactors one with gfo and the other carbon. i also run filter socks that are changed out every 3 days. i heard one of you say alk burn. could you explain that a little to me please and how to fix it. thank you. also would it be ok to do a water change tomorrow or will it just stress them out even more? my salinity is at 1.025 and when i do my water changes i bring it up to matching temp and salinity.

danil
10/06/2012, 12:29 PM
I bet your problem is in overdoing. You have too many things in your system and it's hard to make them all work in harmony. You most likely strip you water from nutrients. In the same time you keep your alk at 9 (probably it picks 10) these numbers are not for system with bio pallets gfo/carbon, filter socks etc. It should never hit 9 in such system. What you have is AKL burn.

What I will do (gradually).
1. Take off bio pallets (they are number one reef tank killers).
2. Reduce use of GFO/carbon.
3. If you like filter socks - OK. But I'll take them out too.
4. Stop WC for few weeks.
Get fresh tests (new RS marine test kit for example) and adjust your Alk to 8-8.2, nitrate to few ppm and get very low but detectible phosphate level. Use checker for phosphate. When you can see some detectable level of phosphate you can start running GFO again to keep it low.
5. Give it time - few months as minimum.
GL.

PS. Just to make your SPS experience more pleasant I would strongly recommend to start with something more 'easy to care' then your corals. Get few monti (red/green/purple cap, sunset etc), get few low end chalices - these are great! Get green birdsnest and green slimmer. These are great corals some of them you can get for free from local reefers. If they will color up nicely in your tank and you can see stable growth for few month - means you are ready for more 'picky' acropora corals.

scarface70706
10/06/2012, 02:42 PM
yea i have a red monti and a green monti that are growing real nice. has nice little polyps, good color, and the white rim. ill check out a green slimmer. are they inexpensive?

scarface70706
10/08/2012, 12:35 AM
well did an experiment yesterday and put in a green slimmer like suggested and i figured well if this one dies then something is wrong and i need to buy a whole new set of tests kits. woke up this morning and my green sps frag is doing great.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w517/scarface70706/DSCN2229.jpg

Reef264
10/08/2012, 06:54 AM
Hope your troubles are over buddy! :thumbsup:

:beer:
-Ray

ajcanale
10/08/2012, 07:20 AM
How high are you running your radions? My sps start losing color and bleaching when run over 70% (20k) which is about 55% overall.
It looks like nothing but skeleton left of the SS with some diatoms :(
And FWIW that does not appear to be green slimer (acropora yongei) , rather an acropora milepora neither of which have ever bleached or browned out in my system. Some SPS are much more sensitive to changes than others. SS is one of those.

Plato
10/08/2012, 10:19 AM
Check your iodine and potassium levels as well. I have noticed a tremendous color up with my sps in only two weeks after start supplementing ZeoVit products. I'm using their amino acids, and basic 4 system, puss a few other products they have. You can use any manufature I just like the concentration of the ZeoVit products. Get you phosphate under .15 ppm, preferably .03. Any thing above .25ppm and corals wont grow. Get nitrates under 1ppm, ideally .25ppm. Start your new corals on the sand bed so not to fry them. Gradually move them up in the tank after a week but go slow. If your tank will handle the extra nutrients then feed your corals it will help. I agree with everyone on the high alk. My targe range for my tank is 425 Ca, 9 DKH, 35ppt, 8.3 pH, 1400 Mg, 500 K, 15ppm St, I2 .06ppm, PO4 <.10 ppm, NO3 < 1ppm. I also run pellets, thats the only way I can keep my nitrates under controll. The ZeoVit system adds the bacteria needed for the pellet reactor.

Good luck!

Dexters Reef
10/08/2012, 02:15 PM
I also agree that that is not a Bali Green Slimer. Green slimers look like this

http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/images/large/q_bali_slimer_acropora_4525.jpg

My guess is you have a Green millepora, which is also an easier to keep SPS.

danil
10/08/2012, 03:42 PM
Super! Yes it's probably a mille not a Slimer but it will serve you well. Mileporas are great corals! So many colors... Still get more corals like Green BN (one is enough lol), get slimer too. Keep your parameters in check and watch the grow. Grow is the key. If your mille and slimer will grow well (I wound's worry too much about colors at this moment) and Geen BN will spread like a weed - you are ready for NEXT thing. Keep us posted!

scarface70706
10/08/2012, 04:46 PM
ahhh ok well thats fine it still looks cool. i had a feeling it was a mili but wasnt 100% sure. its weird that the ssc didnt do too well maybe next time ill get a 2" frag and see what happens. weird how i did the exact same acclimation process with the same water conditions and this one survives and not the ssc. might get a frag of it online at vivid and see if i get any luck with it. i just have this gut feeling i got dud from one of my lfs. i dont think im going to bring my bussiness back to them since the last time i bought a coral (bubble coral) from them it didnt do so well either. i think its time to cut them off. oh well.

scarface70706
10/08/2012, 04:48 PM
so should i pull the ssc or should i wait till the end of the month.

426Hemi
10/08/2012, 05:22 PM
Check your iodine and potassium levels as well. I have noticed a tremendous color up with my sps in only two weeks after start supplementing ZeoVit products. I'm using their amino acids, and basic 4 system, puss a few other products they have. You can use any manufature I just like the concentration of the ZeoVit products. Get you phosphate under .15 ppm, preferably .03. Any thing above .25ppm and corals wont grow. Get nitrates under 1ppm, ideally .25ppm. Start your new corals on the sand bed so not to fry them. Gradually move them up in the tank after a week but go slow. If your tank will handle the extra nutrients then feed your corals it will help. I agree with everyone on the high alk. My targe range for my tank is 425 Ca, 9 DKH, 35ppt, 8.3 pH, 1400 Mg, 500 K, 15ppm St, I2 .06ppm, PO4 <.10 ppm, NO3 < 1ppm. I also run pellets, thats the only way I can keep my nitrates under controll. The ZeoVit system adds the bacteria needed for the pellet reactor.

Good luck!

I would disagree and say that the zeovit doesn't add any bacteria. IMO all the bacteria in a bottle is snake oil. I'd be skeptical of any of the products you mentioned. To me it sounds more like confirmation bias. No offense, I just think most of the dosing products like those are useless. Outside of ca, Alk, I don't think most reefs NEED much else. Iron for plants or mg maybe.

Have there been any scientific studies showing the benefits of dosing aminos?