PDA

View Full Version : Polyp care

Cooperdude916
10/04/2012, 02:50 PM
I'm going to get some polyps soon and am wandering if I have to feed each polyp because this website says you do. I just want to know about your experiences with them.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=597+599

lg7228
10/04/2012, 03:02 PM
FME(which is not much as I have only had polyps for about 3 weeks now)....after a bit of reading and youtubing, I went to the local fish store and bought by self a squeeze coral feeder (like a turkey baster just longer and thinner) and some frozen mysis shrimp. What I do is get a bit of water from the tank into a small container and just a pinch of the frozen mysis, let it thaw out and wait for there to be what I call "mysis shrimp milk"....I suck that up into the feeder and squeeze off a cloud of the milk right on the polyps.....

This might not be the best way to do it but I do know that since I started doing this my polyps have gotten brighter and look much happier....again my experience....:wavehand:

KafudaFish
10/04/2012, 03:07 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2212855

ReefNOOBIE21
10/04/2012, 03:29 PM
i dont ever feed them, they make their own food through photosynthesis

Cooperdude916
10/04/2012, 07:09 PM
FME(which is not much as I have only had polyps for about 3 weeks now)....after a bit of reading and youtubing, I went to the local fish store and bought by self a squeeze coral feeder (like a turkey baster just longer and thinner) and some frozen mysis shrimp. What I do is get a bit of water from the tank into a small container and just a pinch of the frozen mysis, let it thaw out and wait for there to be what I call "mysis shrimp milk"....I suck that up into the feeder and squeeze off a cloud of the milk right on the polyps.....

This might not be the best way to do it but I do know that since I started doing this my polyps have gotten brighter and look much happier....again my experience....:wavehand:

Ok then. How often do you feed them. I was also wandering if anybody has had any experience with Pygmy cherub angels with polyps.

lg7228
10/05/2012, 10:04 AM
Ok then. How often do you feed them. I was also wandering if anybody has had any experience with Pygmy cherub angels with polyps.

I have been feeding them once a week. I will probably try twice a week, I just want to keep an eye on my parameters to make sure there is no sort of spike anywhere.

sponger0
10/05/2012, 11:29 AM
They like fish poop. :fish1::fish1::fish1:

MrG
10/05/2012, 12:26 PM
i dont ever feed them, they make their own food through photosynthesis

+1

I don't think I've ever intentionally/target fed my polyps and have no problem with them reproducing (sometimes to the point they become a nuisance). Just use the standard good lighting and good water quality.

I'm not sure what others have experienced, but it seems like in my tank newly introduced polyp colonies won't grow at all for the first month or two. After that, they start reproducing fairly quickly. I assume it takes them some time to become fully acclimated before they are ready/able to reproduce.

aandfsoccr04
10/05/2012, 01:02 PM
yeah I don't feed anything in my tank really by target feeding. Zoas just don't seem to do any better when you target feed them from what I've seen. Just provide quality water and good lighting and they should be fine.

Jeff000
10/05/2012, 01:35 PM
yeah I don't feed anything in my tank really by target feeding. Zoas just don't seem to do any better when you target feed them from what I've seen. Just provide quality water and good lighting and they should be fine.

This.

My LPS gets a bit of food that is in the water column, but never intentional feeding.
I have seen a mysis land on a zoa and the zoa try to eat it, pretty entertaining till a crab comes and steals it.