PDA

View Full Version : ACAN Feeding, Placement and Flow

scunfcu
10/05/2012, 01:41 PM
Does Acan needs to be fed?

They do best bottom or middle (on live rocks)?

Mid to low flow?

I got 20 inch high tank using X-cree LEDs with Blue, Royal Blue and whites.

Holyreefer
10/06/2012, 08:17 AM
Yes you need to feed them
Just like every other coral try its placement around the tank
How many watts is your light?

knukles55
10/06/2012, 09:33 AM
My acans do excellent on the sand bed with MH 150w. They may be more sensitive to your LEDs at first depending on how strong they are.

Dexters Reef
10/06/2012, 11:20 AM
My scans are also on my sand bed under my 250 watt halides and do great. I switch my feedings between mysis and brs reef chili 2-3 times a week. My acans are always puffy and happy

All Delight
10/06/2012, 12:28 PM
no need to feed them, but it does help with growth.

top, middle, low placement depends on how strong your lights are. acan do best in med to lower lighting. rainbows especially do better in lower blue lighting, to maintain the rainbow colors.

med to low flow is good, if you see the polyps getting "pulled" its too much.

scunfcu
10/06/2012, 08:52 PM
Yes you need to feed them
Just like every other coral try its placement around the tank
How many watts is your light?

Its 160 watts and its strong with alot of Blues, royal blues and less whites.

willietang021
10/06/2012, 10:21 PM
If you feed them meaty stuff they grow ALOT FASTER!!!
but you don't have to target feed, and they will do just fine. mid flow is good, but I had some acan colonies around sps also. (Strong Flow) They get puffy even more. As for lights, they can adapt to high light, but usually low to medium heights are best under LEDs.
On rock is better than on sand as they do grow new heads at the bottom, but if the heads are always cover in sand, those will die off.

scunfcu
10/07/2012, 10:04 AM
I have no need to make them grow faster, so I will not feed them. Will try them at lower and mid level with some on the rocks. Thank is barebottom I am trying to keep low-nutrient tank as I have SPS also.