PDA

View Full Version : will cloudy water from sand hurt corals and/or fish?

Peanut122267
10/05/2012, 05:50 PM
I have a 30 gallon setup and just purchased a 46. I bought new sand,It's dry sand and was rinsed very well. The tank was till cloudy after I filled it up so I drained it. Is it safe to transfer my corals into it the cloudy water ?

My light is ceiling mounted So I need to put the tank where my 30g tank is. I don't want to move my old one if its not safe to transfer my corals to the new one.

Plz help

bnumair
10/05/2012, 06:19 PM
cloudiness will go away in few hours if not then with in 24hrs. if u can hold off the transfer i would. but if necessary then go ahead making sure the is no sand landing on the corals. if it does take a turkey baster and blow sand off the corals.

Peanut122267
10/05/2012, 06:44 PM
well i moved my 30 gallon(tank w/ fish & coral in it) out from under the light so I can put the new one under it and start filling it. I did this because I cannot move a 46 gallon aquarium once its full.

My question is, how long will my corals and fish be okay without a light? I didnt not think the water would be this cloudy.

bnumair
10/05/2012, 06:49 PM
cloudiness will go away soon enough max 24 hrs if not 3-6 hrs. livestock like fish can survive with light for ever, while corals will be fine for 4-5 days too without light. but cloudiness will not last that long. just make sure there is no sand on corals as its clearing up. blow sand off the corals if any,

Peanut122267
10/05/2012, 06:59 PM
I figured the fish would be ok but wasn't sure about the corals. the tank is REALLY cloudy(i just did this less than an your ago) I'm going to let it be and hopefully come morning it will be good enough to switch the corals over so they can get light. I can't put a filter on it because its only filled half way. I was planning on using the water that I bought and the water that's in my 30 gallon to fill it up the rest of the way. I really didn't expect it to be so cloudy.

Any brilliant ideas are greatly appreciated