PDA

View Full Version : Is our bubble too far gone?

CoralReeferGal
10/05/2012, 07:42 PM
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg557/coralreefergal/IMG1279.jpg

Is it too far gone? What can we do to save it??

debincalif
10/06/2012, 01:01 AM
Check out this thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1918483

sjwitt
10/06/2012, 09:14 PM
As suggested in the other threads you started, put it in a low flow, low light area and feed it.

willietang021
10/06/2012, 10:23 PM
agree low flow and low light, feed them meaty stuff at night time. It's not the worst I have seen, at least there's still tissue all around the skeleton, and they are still intact not hanging by a thread.

Gary Majchrzak
10/06/2012, 10:43 PM
*get a refractometer. Keep water at SG 1.026

*keep alkalinity, calcium and Mg at optimal

*80F temperature

* VERY IMPORTANT: Angelfish (!) or other fish that might be picking on this coral must be removed from aquarium

*GIVE IT LIGHT

and this Plerogyra can recover

sjwitt
10/07/2012, 07:03 AM
And you don't have to wait until night. If you feed directly, softened food right on the mouth area, and protect it from robbers then it will feed anytime. You might want/need to suspend the circulation while doing so. They seem to be able to digest the pellets ... some speculate it's because they're already processed. Soak the pellets in tank water first to soften them.

I urge you to look at that thread link provided above. That is a "rescue" thread and it's amazing how some of these bounce back.

usmc121581
10/07/2012, 07:29 AM
And you don't have to wait until night. If you feed directly, softened food right on the mouth area, and protect it from robbers then it will feed anytime. You might want/need to suspend the circulation while doing so. They seem to be able to digest the pellets ... some speculate it's because they're already processed. Soak the pellets in tank water first to soften them.

I urge you to look at that thread link provided above. That is a "rescue" thread and it's amazing how some of these bounce back.

To add to feeding it during the day. While target feeding you could put a clear glass over it. It will protect it from fish trying to take the food and from water movement from the fish swimming around. You can also see if it is taking the food.

Gary Majchrzak
10/07/2012, 07:34 AM
because of the Goniopora that died in this aquarium I think the best hope for recovery in this particular coral might be in someone else's reef aquarium.

Plerogyra (bubble coral) does have an amazing ability to recover from apparent "death"

sjwitt
10/07/2012, 07:56 AM
CoralReeferGal, did you say in another thread that you have a QT/HT setup. To Gary's point, maybe you should move this to the Hospital for intensive care. If you don't and still want someone to take care of it for you, I live in Stewartstown PA and can meet you at TFP. I'll take it and try to rescue.

sqwat
10/08/2012, 09:02 AM
Does t look good but not out for the count.first what caused this fix that and keep low flow and and low stress feed lightly and time lots of time.keep algea off exposed septa

CoralReeferGal
10/09/2012, 11:02 AM
thanks for all the replies; I apologize I had surgery and haven't been on the past few days... We do have a QT tank, but don't have lights for it yet, since it was intended to be for fish (honestly never thought about needing to use it for corals til now!) I think he wants to keep it now, in the hopes it will come back, since this is one of his favorite corals of all time... I'm just not sure if we'll be able to bring it back. We aren't used to feeding daily, as theres so much other stuff going on, especially right now with my surgery. Our angel doesn't bother any of the corals in the tank, so I know she's not bothering him.

As suggested in the other threads you started, put it in a low flow, low light area and feed it.

We did move it and adjusted the flow, I only asked again because it looked worse to me, and apparently JUST moving it to low flow and lower light didnt seem to help much. Thank you everyone for the optimism! Hopefully we can do something here...