PDA

View Full Version : Feed back on your experience with bio pellets for reducing Nitrate

ReefSkipper
10/06/2012, 06:29 AM
What pro and co setting up a little fishes reactor with bio pellets to lower Nitrate. some say you need to feed bacteria other say if I have no phosphate it won't wont work. Am I better off with a product called biofuel from brightwell it like a carbon dosing . Please give me feed back. I do constant water changes I keep up with my tank . It just nitrate lately go up my load is big on fish I know. Just need solution with elminating fish. Thank you

downbeach
10/06/2012, 06:57 AM
What are the Benefits of using Bio-Pellets?

NO3 and PO4 removal
No need to maintain a specific dosage or increase over time
No cyano or bacterial side effects
No risk of Overdosing
Simple to use…Set it and forget it.
Increases protein skimmer output
Bacteria is consumed by tank inhabitants like corals and sponges

How Do Bio-Pellets Work?

Solid carbon dosing (bio pellets) has recently become an extremely popular method of removing nitrates from the saltwater aquarium. Most Bio-Pellets are made primarily of a biodegradable polymer that “feed” and promote aerobic and anaerobic bacteria making it a viable carbon source to consume nutrients (NO3 and PO4) within the water column. Just like the traditional methods of dosing Vodka, vinegar or sugar as a carbon source directly to the water column to promote the reproduction of bacteria cultures in our aquarium system to consume nutrients with the common downside of unsightly, stringy bacteria throughout the system.
By utilizing a reactor filled with solid bio-pellets changes everything! Rather than staging the entire aquarium into an ecosystem of bacteria, a reactor allows us to provide those microscopic creatures with a “food dish” tucked neatly away in the stand. Now the bacteria congregate in the confined space of a reactor and continue the same life cycle as before without leaving their mess behind for us to look at.
You will need the following items to get started

Small Pump or feed source pushing around 300-500GPH depending on which model or bled off of your return pump via manifold.
3/4″ID Hose(or whatever hose is appropriate with your reactor)
Biopellet media- *Add one cup of Bio Pellets per 50 gallons of system water volume to the reactor. For example a 100 gallon tank would use 2 cups of Bio Pellet media. When first starting add about 1/3 the media recommended for your system, add another 1/3 in two weeks and the balance after another two weeks.
Recommend an appropriate sizes protein skimmer
* Optional bacterial strains like KZ Zeobak, MicroBacter7 or equivalent (This may speed up the process and help maintain populations of beneficial bacteria but is not absolutely required.)

How to Set up and Use Your Reactor

Fill the reactor with the appropriate amount of Bio Pellets*
Place the pump in the tank and Set up the reactor in your desired location. Apply the water flow to the reactor and adjust it so that all of the media is tumbling slowly to start. You may adjust the flow to your systems needs. For best results direct the effluent of the reactor near your protein skimmers intake pump.
Bio-Pellets require up to 8 weeks for the bacteria to colonize. During this time resist any temptation to change anything settings to your reactor. You may experience a small bacterial bloom when initiated but will subside within a few days. For extreme cloudy water conditions take action by agitating the water surface.
Top off every 3 months or so, back to their original quantity, to maintain maximum effectiveness.

Helpful tips

Remove GFO during the initial phases of the seeding of the reactor
Allow 8 weeks before making adjustments to the reactor
Additions of bacteria supplements can help diversify the bacteria
Remove UV sterilizers.
Make sure your skimmer is running at full efficiency and the effluent of the reactor is directed towards the skimmer feed pump
Keep the reactor in a dark area away from light

ReefSkipper
10/06/2012, 10:10 AM
What size a of pump marineland do I need to purchase for little fishes 150 reactor what is the flow rate needed. What size of pump you recommend

hillscp
10/06/2012, 10:25 AM
Vinegar is cheap and far less complicated :)

ReefSkipper
10/06/2012, 10:41 AM
Vinegar is cheap and far less complicated :)

How you do vinegar dosing are there any issue or fallback on dosing vinegar. Please explain.

abid
10/06/2012, 12:38 PM
I heard you have to remove bio pellets and clean them once in a week or so depending on your load.

I have been using NO3 : PO4 x by red sea. 7ml dose for 90 gal tank per day works good.

downbeach
10/06/2012, 01:01 PM
I have been running them for close to two years, there is nothing "complicated" about it, no measuring, no dosing, no bacteria snotties all over your tank and sump, and have never had to "clean" them. You do however have to add some to the reactor as they are consumed, but that isn't very often. I have done the liquid carbon dosing and it does work, but this is much easier. As mentioned in the previous post(#2), once it's fully colonized, it's pretty much on auto pilot.

hillscp
10/06/2012, 02:00 PM
I have used them too and I switched because of the cost/"complexity" (plus I was getting cyano). If you say that having a reactor and a pump that you have to adjust and clean the need to buy pellets is not "complicated" then maybe it's not for you. I think there are better options out there personally. Pouring vinegar once a day from a graduated cylinder or dosing pump is not hard and vinegar is cheap (plus you can buy it at the grocery store). There are also experts who think it is actually better

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/116-vinegar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2101969

Just trying to give the OP some options

ReefSkipper
10/06/2012, 03:18 PM
I'm hear you hills do it something else to clean and maintain. I'm sorry but I don't understand the finger chart . And also I'm lost what vinegar I use it say something about 5% I'm lost with the article please someone explain in 34 gallons is it everyday dose and how much to dose.

TSJSREEF
10/16/2012, 04:30 PM
+1 on using bio pellets. I have been using them for a couple of years and they are not complicated at all.

Scoobie245
10/16/2012, 08:02 PM
I've been using pellets for about a year now... its easy to use and works pretty well....

KCombs
10/16/2012, 09:39 PM
I've been using pellets for about a year now... its easy to use and works pretty well....

ditto ...
except when the pellets clog...

Pouring vinegar once a day from a graduated cylinder or dosing pump is not hard and vinegar is cheap

true but absolutley more bother than doing nothing except watching ones pellets tumble,,,,

That said, we got a 2nd tank and a Apex, so I might try vinegar and a dosing pump...just to see how that goes

josetexe
10/17/2012, 05:53 AM
why the reactor have to be in the dark??

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

josetexe
10/17/2012, 05:55 AM
why the reactor have to be in the dark??

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android