PDA

View Full Version : Oil in tank

jaa1456
10/06/2012, 04:27 PM
I picked up,anew tank but not from a Lfs, found it on Craigslist new. Well I have it in the house but just got around to looking at it better. I noticed some oil in the tank, not sure what kind as there is no odor. It is very little and just a few drops. Any ideas on getting the oil out or is it even worth setting the tank up. It's an Oceanic tank so I would like to keep it. Thanks in advance.

robs.mark
10/06/2012, 04:30 PM
I would give it a soak in bleach and water for a day, then give it a soak in vinegar and water for a day.

jaa1456
10/06/2012, 04:37 PM
You think that would break down the oil?

jaa1456
10/06/2012, 04:38 PM
Oh and how much vinegar in the 120?

robs.mark
10/06/2012, 04:44 PM
Manually remove the drips first of corse, then I'd chuck a couple of liters of bleach in, unscented, fill with water and leave for a day, then give it a good rinse out. Then do the same with white vinegar, two liters and leave for a while followed by a good flush.

disc1
10/06/2012, 04:52 PM
If there's oil in there, go get some isopropyl rubbing alcohol at the drug store. There will be two kinds, one is 70% one is much higher 90, 92 or even 95%. Get the strong stuff. That will clean up most oils. If that doesn't get it, come ask again on the chemistry board and we'll see if we can figure something out.

robs.mark
10/06/2012, 04:57 PM
If there's oil in there, go get some isopropyl rubbing alcohol at the drug store. There will be two kinds, one is 70% one is much higher 90, 92 or even 95%. Get the strong stuff. That will clean up most oils. If that doesn't get it, come ask again on the chemistry board and we'll see if we can figure something out.

Vinegar is an acid, IMO much more effective.

jaa1456
10/06/2012, 05:33 PM
I'll give it a shot see what happens, maybe I will do it 2-3 times to be safe.

jacob.morgan78
10/06/2012, 07:12 PM

+1 Trust disc1... he'll point you in the right direction

DownwardDawg
10/06/2012, 07:17 PM
It'll be fine. Bacteria eats oil. Just ask BP.

disc1
10/06/2012, 07:36 PM
Vinegar is an acid, IMO much more effective.

Isopropyl alcohol is an organic alcohol and I think that will work better on an oil.

For most everything else vinegar is your go to guy, but not for an oil that won't dissolve into water.

For that you need a non-polar solvent. Or less polar at least. Use strong alcohol. Isopropyl is better than ethyl or methyl because it is less polar.

If that can't get it, then you have to go non-polar or detergent and then there becomes a residue worry. So I'd want to know more about this oil before I point you towards xylene or something.

Really, the isopropyl will probably break it right up if it's not coming off in water. Once you have it dissolved into the alcohol, you can rinse it out with water.

jaa1456
10/06/2012, 08:04 PM
I have no clue what it is. Seems to thin and clear to be car oil, feels more like a cooking oil, but no clue why that would be in the garage where the tank was kept. It has no odor that I can smell or anyone else could notice. I will go ahead with some rubbing alcohol first like you said and see if that cleans it up. First I will try to wipe as much out as possible.

jacob.morgan78
10/06/2012, 09:20 PM
Good plan

geaux xman
10/06/2012, 11:27 PM
How about using detergent to break down the oil? Would Dawn dishwashing detergent help? I know on pots and pans with heavy grease, nothing works better than Dawn...

PAnanoguy
10/07/2012, 12:22 AM
How about using detergent to break down the oil? Would Dawn dishwashing detergent help? I know on pots and pans with heavy grease, nothing works better than Dawn...

see post #11 :headwalls:

peteyboyny
10/07/2012, 08:33 AM
I wouldn't put ANY detergents/soaps near ANYTHING that is or goes in my tank/equip/etc. +1 for rubbing alcohol, bleach, distilled vinegar. In that order.

Dapg8gt
10/07/2012, 08:53 AM
I would go with the chemists reccomended action. Even do a test with some cooking oil. I'm guessing the alcohol will work the best. It should eat it right up. A vinegar bath after prob wouldn't hurt either.

jaa1456
10/17/2012, 06:34 PM
Well I got around to using the alcohol, found a 91% bottle, highest content I could find. Wiped the tank down several times until paper towels were coming up clean. Now will this alcohol eat at the silicone at all? I will give it one more alcohol wipe down and then most likely do 2 vinigear baths, maybe a bleach bath to start with. This process is going to set me back a few weeks, and winter is fast approaching as well, not sure how this is gonna work as I want to do the baths outside and not in the house.

disc1
10/18/2012, 09:46 AM
The silicone is safe. Isopropyl won't do anything at all to it.