PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a GFCI with an apex EB8?

EthanKyle
10/07/2012, 10:51 AM
I have an Apex controller and was wondering if I need if I need the outlet that I have the EB8 plugged into, GFCI protected. I have a GFCI that you just plug into the wall. Do I need to plug the EB8 to this GFCI or can I just use the GFCI on a different outlet? I plan on using just 2 outlets to run my entire system. Ultimately it comes down to this. Does the EB8 have a built in GFCI?

cephalotus
10/07/2012, 11:00 AM
Yes you still need to use the GFCI

EthanKyle
10/07/2012, 11:12 AM
OK cool, but what is the button on the EB8 that says 15 for? It's a reset button. Is this a surge protector? If it's a surge protector, will there be any interference with my GFCI? I appreciate you input.

EthanKyle
10/07/2012, 11:16 AM
I guess I'll still have to get another GFCI for my 2nd outlet. Remember, these are plug n play GFCIs. Not the ones you use internally that will protect all the outlets on the same circuit. I guess they just protect the outlet that they are plugged into. Am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

EthanKyle
10/07/2012, 09:25 PM
Any other input?

pwreef
10/07/2012, 09:43 PM
If you bought those plug in GFCI things from Home Depot or the like, do not use them on our tank. When power goes out they will trip. When power comes back they will stay tripped until you or someone else resets them. This is the way they are designed to keep workers safe on the jobsite. If you are not around when power is restored your tank will die. Replace your wall outlets with GFCI. Those do not trip from power outages. Good luck.

Cobraden
10/08/2012, 02:30 PM
I would go with the wall mounted GFCI plugs. They are easy to install and if you are not comfortable with electrical wiring, it shouldn't cost too much for an electrician to come and do it for you. Better safe than sorry for both yourself and your tank.

grigsy
10/08/2012, 07:56 PM
I use and like the Tower GFCI 5 outlet models. Simple to use and effective.

Premium sells them for $17 each. Cheap insurance IMO.

http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=TM-GFI-5&Category_Code=

rbirling
10/08/2012, 08:02 PM
OK cool, but what is the button on the EB8 that says 15 for? It's a reset button. Is this a surge protector? If it's a surge protector, will there be any interference with my GFCI? I appreciate you input.

That is a circuit breaker that protects the cord and internals of the EB8 in case you try to draw more than 15 Amps through it. It won't protect you like a GFCI.

kurt_n
10/09/2012, 02:03 PM
If you bought those plug in GFCI things from Home Depot or the like, do not use them on our tank. When power goes out they will trip. When power comes back they will stay tripped until you or someone else resets them. This is the way they are designed to keep workers safe on the jobsite. If you are not around when power is restored your tank will die. Replace your wall outlets with GFCI. Those do not trip from power outages. Good luck.

While I won't disagree that GFCI wall outlets are the way to go, not all of the consumer grade stuff at Home Depot/Lowes/etc work the way you describe. It all depends on whether or not it's an OSHA approved GFCI. All portable ones don't work the way you describe - most of the manufacturers make ones that stay tripped (like you said) and ones that reset automatically. Just be aware of what you're getting. All the ones I've purchased reset automatically, and I purchased them from HD & Lowes.

EthanKyle - assuming you get the kind of GFCI that resets automatically, you won't have a problem plugging your EB8 into it. I run an EB4 off one of the plug-in type that is plugged into a large UPS and haven't had any issues.

tkeracer619
10/09/2012, 02:31 PM
Leave the return pump off the GFCI. Everything else should be on one.

Plug in ones are pretty terrible but some do work.

fishguy597
10/09/2012, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=tkeracer619;20766940]Leave the return pump off the GFCI. Everything else should be on one.

Are you talking about the extension cord gfi? Then I get it because you want your pump to come on after a power outage. If not why wouldnt you? Pumps short out too.

cephalotus
10/09/2012, 02:48 PM
Leave the return pump off the GFCI. Everything else should be on one.

Plug in ones are pretty terrible but some do work.

I would not have anything in my tank plugged in to a non GFCI protected outlet. I do however have my return pump on a seperate circuit.

tkeracer619
10/09/2012, 04:39 PM
Because I do not trust the life of my tank in the hands of a GFCI regardless of type. IF you have some sort of other backup then go for it. I have that backup but regardless I won't ever put a return pump on a GFCI.

Plugging everything into a GFCI or a controller is a good way to lose a huge amount of livestock over something potentially very minor. OBviously it doesn't have to be. Sure you could get shocked or even worse. I choose to minimize risk for both me and my fish.

FWIW My system only has 1 submerged cord and that is the skimmer pump. The rest is external. I also have 3 20a circuits run. Each outlet has its own GFCI except the outlet for the dual return pumps. Each pump is on its own circuit.

There have been several people killed over the years due to electrocution with their tanks. I am aware of those risks and personally choose to minimize the risks to myself through other means before relying on a GFCI to save me. So I guess my advice earlier wasn't compete. Know the risks and choose on your own.

Also know what you are doing. If you are standing on carpet wearing shoes and stick your hand in a live tank odds are nothing will happen. Do that with bare feet and damp carpet/concrete you might find yourself smoking. An ounce of prevention goes a long way here.

FWIW I got a shock from a full open 115v due to a leaky koralia. It isn't fun at all.

cephalotus
10/09/2012, 06:23 PM
I have personally witnessed a fellow reefer almost die from a wet heater controller, if I hadn't been in the room with him I am sure he would be dead now. Yes he was barefoot on concrete. That is a risk I am not willing to take and you can still get elecricuted by an external pump. My life is more important than my livestocks.

led stony
10/09/2012, 08:44 PM
20 amp gfci recepticals last 10x as long as 15 amp ones. also put a surge supressior at panel to protect your whole houses electronics.

dano1
10/09/2012, 11:14 PM
ground can be a very bad thing....