PDA

View Full Version : Sick or dying ritteri? Please Help!!

Reef Gypsy
10/07/2012, 01:39 PM
So I've have my ritteri for almost two weeks and have a pair of clowns hosting in it. Last night and today it is shriveled up and appears sick. I've attached a pic; please help!

Tank stats:
67 gal Red Sea Max 250 no modifications
Salinity: 1.026
Ph: 8.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
Temp: 80

aandfsoccr04
10/07/2012, 03:23 PM
What are you using for lighting and flow? In my experience, these anemones like high light and a lot of flow.

Reef Gypsy
10/07/2012, 03:43 PM
Lighting: 35 Watt t5 flourescent bulbs (10,000k) 1:1 ratio w actinic bulbs (3 of each)
Flow: one 2400 lph (600gph) circulation pump and one 1200 lph (300 gph) circulation pump

rssjsb
10/07/2012, 04:51 PM
You need more light to keep a mag happy.

Reef Gypsy
10/07/2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks; I worried about that but my LFS said we had plenty :( ill have to take this little guy back! Is our lighting appropriate for a carpet or RTBA? My black ice clowns were really excited about their new home...I'd like to replace it and know those are the other anemones they prefer.

Ostara
10/07/2012, 05:35 PM
Good plan. Six ATI bulbs are plenty of light for magnificas (that's what mine have thrived under), but six of your average T5s almost certainly are not sufficient. Having a fair amount of experience with magnificas though, I'd say that one looks unhealthy rather than light deprived. I would definitely return it if you can. These guys are pretty delicate and really do not ship well. You have to monitor them closely for over a month after you get them and even one that seems healthy at the store and in your tank for the first few weeks can go into the dreaded deflation cycle before withering away.

Unless you could find a healthy gigantea (which is much harder than finding a healthy magnifica) your clowns are probably not going to get as excited over another anemone like they did with this one simply because BTAs and haddoni's (likely the type of carpet they have) are not natural hosts for them. There's always a chance though, so I'd recommend getting the BTA if you find one you like.

OrionN
10/07/2012, 09:57 PM
I am treating my Magnifica, documented in this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2220652