PDA

View Full Version : 2nd stage clogged after less than 3 months?

ChrisChow
10/07/2012, 05:23 PM
Hi Filter Guys,

As you can probably track down from my recent purchase, I replaced my 1st, 2nd and 3rd stage filters, the 2nd and 3rd were the chloramine reducing units. Flow was good before I replaced. Had no issue but the filters looked visually poor.

After replacement, flow was good, I made sure all filters were generally centered as I put them back into the system for use.

PROBLEM: after about 100 gallons of rodi, the final output PSI decreased to zero, and flow decreased as well. I re-installed the filters but did not see any specific issues with the housing or the receiving banks. I traced it down to the 2nd stage chloramine filter, it seems to be generally clogged. I noticed this occurred when I let the system sit for about a week between uses. Does this mean that some sort of organisms took up habitat in the filter? I've never experienced this event in my 4+ years of ownership...which includes replacing the filter sets several times before.

Please help!:fun5:

Can I attempt to unclog the filter with vinegar? Or other homemade solution?

Thefilterguys
10/08/2012, 02:19 PM
Usually early filter clogging is a result of dirty water supply it can also be the result of something your filtration plant has done. common causes can be a fire in your area or construction or water main break. Filters can not be cleaned and all three generally need replacement. Before filter replacement run lots of water through the faucet to try and flush your water service entrance. It is not uncommon to have a reperat filter clog very quickly.

Jim

ChrisChow
10/08/2012, 10:14 PM
Ya, that baby is clogged! 3rd stage looks OK as is the first stage. But 2nd stage is done!

Usually early filter clogging is a result of dirty water supply it can also be the result of something your filtration plant has done. common causes can be a fire in your area or construction or water main break. Filters can not be cleaned and all three generally need replacement. Before filter replacement run lots of water through the faucet to try and flush your water service entrance. It is not uncommon to have a reperat filter clog very quickly.

Jim

Thefilterguys
10/09/2012, 12:26 AM
When the second stage clogs it usually has an impact on the first and third stage also. You can try replacing just the one filter but I would recommend having all three on hand just incase all three are impacted. I can tell you the clogging does not appear to be the result of chloramine but dirty tap water instead which usually has an impact on the second stage the most.

Jim

Jim