PDA

View Full Version : Question for the tang experts.

ghostman
10/08/2012, 08:38 AM
I've recently moved to the mainland from Maui, and have a reef tank setup for the past few years. While snorkeling and diving I noticed that the naso tangs and orange shoulder tangs were all dark in coloration, almost black, but the tangs offered in the trade are usually gray in coloration. I didn't think much of it, but recently saw an orange shoulder tang that was black with a dark blue face in a lfs. It was just like I had seen in Maui. Naturally it was in the display, and not for sale :( Is there a dark phase of these tangs or some other element that causes it such as nutrition? Thanks for answers on an odd question.

SDguy
10/09/2012, 08:42 AM
I snorkled off Maui a few years back. I recall seeing unicorn tangs, common nasos, and orange shoulders, and don't recall any looking unusually dark.

pinnatus
10/09/2012, 09:41 AM
I think they get somewhat darker as they get larger, but they are still grey. They also can change color a little based on mood, especially when young.

CenterConsole
10/09/2012, 10:34 AM
I agree, the larger they are, the darker they are. I've seen many species in their natural habitat slightly different in coloration then compared to captive species. All were more beautiful in the wild, some things no matter how hard we try we just can't replicate.

ghostman
10/09/2012, 12:39 PM
Thank you for the responses. As I mentioned in the previous post, my lfs has an orange shoulder tang that is almost completely black, with a bluish sheen to it's head. It is quite small actually, probably 5" or so. I wanted to buy it, but it is in the display tank, and not easily caught. I'll try to take a picture of it. I agree that we cannot replicate nature. The tangs in the wild are so fat it is incredible.