PDA

View Full Version : Silencing a peg leg

jnjsad
10/08/2012, 04:06 PM
Hello RC community. I am at the point now with my tank that the loudest peice of equipment continues to be the Peg Leg from the air silencer. I noticed that the silencer is filled with water so not sure if that makes a difference. Had this unit Since Feb and it does a good job, just noisier than all get out. Any ideas/tips/mods that anyone can advise on? I'm a little on the mod challenged scale of technical abilities. :) Thanks for any feedback.

KevinJ
10/09/2012, 09:43 PM
Hello RC community. I am at the point now with my tank that the loudest peice of equipment continues to be the Peg Leg from the air silencer. I noticed that the silencer is filled with water so not sure if that makes a difference. Had this unit Since Feb and it does a good job, just noisier than all get out. Any ideas/tips/mods that anyone can advise on? I'm a little on the mod challenged scale of technical abilities. :) Thanks for any feedback.

Yep, an easy fix. Drill a hole 1/4" to 3/8" in the bottom of your air silencer. That will allow the water to drain out. Some put a cork in the hole afterwards but I leave mine open. That seems to help the sucking sound. My Pegleg is the loudest thing in my stand, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Thanks Avast Marine!

KevinJ

jnjsad
10/10/2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks Kevin. So by drilling that hole...did that help with lessening the sound or just with the water drainage? I like mine too....just suprised at how loud it is. Thanks!

J

KevinJ
10/10/2012, 09:13 PM
Both. It really helped with that air sucking sound. IMHO

ctenophore
10/10/2012, 10:16 PM
We also recently redesigned the silencer for the new CS1. These will be retrofittable to the older models. It is much larger and separate from the gate valve so it can't fill up if the pump turns off. As soon as we have the parts in stock (aside from those in the CS1 kits) I will add them to the website so they can be ordered separately.

Pics of the new silencer design can be seen here:
http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/youbuilt/CS1-Cone-Skimmer-Kit