PDA

View Full Version : Moving plans please review.

nfored
10/09/2012, 10:54 AM
So I am moving next month, I have three tanks to move, 220 and two 55's. I am really unsure about the 55 FOWLR tank. I know in fresh water I can move a filter and the fish from a 55 to 220 and see no cycle or if I do a single day. I don't know if the same is true with a SW.

My plan is as follows.

220: FW
Take my empty 500 Gallon, over and get it setup, with water and heaters and pumps.
Put all my fish in buckets 1 fish per bucket, put the filter media also in a bucket.
Drive 30 minutes to the new home transfer the fish into the waiting 500G and add the filter media to the tank.

55:SW "This is where I am unsure."

Move my 220 which was fresh to the new place, add salt mix and ro water leave sitting for 24 hours to get o2 balanced and tank heated.
Place new crushed coral sand in the tank.
Again put fish in a bucket, sand in one bucket, and rocks in 4 other buckets.
First dump the old sand evenly across the sand bed in the 220.
Put the rocks evenly across the bottom which will now only be enough for a base load of rocks
Add a few extra power heads to blast the rocks, since they will basically now only be enough for a bottom layer I will need more power heads to make sure the rocks are getting flow.
Add the fish.

I think because I only have two chromis in there that the 60 - 70lbs of live rock that has been supporting them should be enough to keep supporting them until I can buy more live rock and more fish ;-)

55:FW
Using the 55G that was a salt water tank I would clean it with vinagr and set it up the same time as I was moving the salt water fish. I would then just put my fish in a bucket, unhook the canister filter and drive it over, toss in the fish hook up the canister and call it a day.

The salt water tank is what I am really unsure of, I figure the 500 might go through a very small mini cycle maybe one or two days because of the shock of the move.

anbosu
10/09/2012, 10:59 AM
I would not recommend re-using your sand unless you plan to clean it in saltwater very thoroughly. Definitely rinse your new sand ahead of time, and I would add it as soon as you have the salt mixed into the water in the new tank.

India
10/09/2012, 05:45 PM
And set your rock on the bottom before the sand, or support it with PVC sections thru the sand - just in case you have burrowers...

The mini cycle in the 500 gal will not be a big deal because of the volume to livestock ratio - sounds OK to me...

Hazratty
10/09/2012, 08:31 PM
I am a little confused on what and where is going where but this is what I made sense of that.

220 FW is going into the 500G
220 is then being converted to SW
55 That is SW is being converted to FW
55FW is staying FW

If this is right this IMO is what I would do.

The freshwater stuff you're right I would be surprised if you didn't see a cycle you will most likely have a small cycle that being said FW fish are much more resilent then SW.

SW.

+1 to not re using the sand as it will have build up of gas and bacteria which you don't want to transfer over. This is gas off as you move and stirr up the sand. If you do move it over I would give it a VERY good rinse and attempt to dry it and then rinse it again but that could be over kill.

You neccessarily don't need to let your salt mix and settle for 24hours I don't know why this is drilled into peoples brains but if someone wants to show me some supporting studies and facts how this helps I would appreciate it. I have never let water ''settle''. Yes make sure its room temp, Yes make sure all the salt dissolves and water becomes clear this should take 5 mintues and you should be good to add it into your tank.

You stated that you were mixing with RO water? Do you already have the 220G's of RODI waiting for you at the new place because unless you have a supercharged unit that is unheard of It would take you acouple days to fill the 220 with the RODI. Soon as the water is in the tank @ your salinity/temp you can add your rock which if its cured/seeded from your old tank should begin the process of your N/A cycle. I would get rid of your chromis in the mean time as this will be a stressful and bad time to have them in your tank and I don't support using fish to cycle.(If you do, then research has shown chromis are inexpensive and a popular choice)

After sand can go in try not to stirr it up to much when getting it into your tank and I would turn your flow off until the sand has settled or else silt and sand will be everywhere all over your rock and sump and this is not fun to clean up.

I also would keep as much as the water from your old tank and toss it into your 220G hell your moving a small pond over there anyways whats another 50G's with the addition of the LR and the old water I would expect you see a small short cycle then starting a tank from scratch.

Personally I like to add the Sand before but you take the risk of like said before burrowers and collapsing with 1-2'' of sand I take my chances with my diamond watchmen goby. Also just be gentle if you go this way not to move and scratch your bottom glass.

Have fun when I moved into my house moving my old 65G was more work then moving my entire condo I feel your pain but good luck. PS. I hope you have a good ventiliation and dehumidifier with all that water!! I'm jealous :)