PDA

View Full Version : Ocellaris (and now DT) has Ich...in-tank options?

fishouttawater
10/09/2012, 11:18 AM
Picked up my 2nd ocellaris last week. He showed no signs in shop or during acclimation, was/is eating ok, but now has the small bumps characteristic of Ich. I understand I should have QT'd him but do not have a setup for it :/
What is the easiest option for treatment at this point? Is there any way to avoid having a 2nd setup? My only inverts are the snails, a frogspawn, and a couple mushrooms. I do have a live sand bed and some caulerpa macroalgae.

h2so4hurts
10/09/2012, 12:05 PM
Nope. Fish need to come out. Read the stickies about tank transfer or cupramine and get a QT setup ASAP. It can be as simple as a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and an airstone.

fishouttawater
10/09/2012, 01:40 PM
Ok. Now whether I use transfer method, hyposalinity, or some medication, this has to be done in conjunction with a fallow period in DT correct? What is the minimum effective fallow period? 11 weeks?

TealCobra
10/09/2012, 02:02 PM
Ok. Now whether I use transfer method, hyposalinity, or some medication, this has to be done in conjunction with a fallow period in DT correct? What is the minimum effective fallow period? 11 weeks?

Correct. You need to allow time to starve out the parasite in your DT. I think 4-6 is the standard recommended amount of time. I usually go 6+ to be certain.

MrTuskfish
10/09/2012, 02:11 PM
The inital post on this sticky will show you that , while there really isn't a "sure thing" with ich, 9+ weeks makes sense to me. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2041951

EllieSuz
10/09/2012, 02:21 PM
The Display tank should be left fallow for 72 days to be on the safe side.

fishouttawater
10/09/2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks everyone. Day off tomorrow, I plan on getting my fish into a QT and starting fallow...only question now is which treatment method to go with. Hmmm..........

gone fishin
10/09/2012, 04:56 PM
hyposalinity can be very difficult. If the salinity is not maintained you may need to start over. just my 2 cents

fishouttawater
10/09/2012, 05:51 PM
If all I'm using in my (10gal) QT is an airstone, how often should water changes be performed? I have 2 chromis, 2 ocellaris, and a LMB...all except LMB (about 3") are very small/less than 2" long. I'm going to use either Cupramine, straight copper, or Rid-Ich, haven't decided yet. I have 2 chromis, 2 ocellaris, and a LMB...all except LMB (about 3") are very small/less than 2" long.

enjetek
10/09/2012, 05:57 PM
Use a sponge from your dt and cupramine. I just let the fish sit in there with no water changes and it works fine for myself. Give them a prazi pro treatment while you're at it too.

fishouttawater
10/09/2012, 06:15 PM
I'm guessing you have a treatment as well as a QT? Mine will be one in the same...therefore these fish will be in the treatment/QT for at least 4 weeks. Sponge sounds like a good idea, still no water changes though??

enjetek
10/09/2012, 06:20 PM
Well I only have a hospital tank since I always treat my fish no matter what source

fishouttawater
10/09/2012, 06:22 PM
Ah I see...wish I had started with the same policy :/ learning the hard way, having to keep my tank fallow will be the toughest part of this treatment regimen

enjetek
10/09/2012, 06:26 PM
You live and learn. :)

tekjunkie28
10/09/2012, 06:30 PM
So sure going to stress out the fish more by putting him in QT? Makes since. I'd would just leave them in the tank and feed. That way u will keep stress down. It's just 2 fish

EllieSuz
10/09/2012, 06:35 PM
Rid Ich is not the product to use here. If you're going the copper route, use Cupramine. Your Lawnmower will need supplemented veggies. Suggest Nori, broccoli, spinach, etc.

fishouttawater
10/09/2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks EllieSuz, Cupramine is what I will be using. I have Nori for the LMB, hopefully he will take to eating something other than 'rockscrape' lol, he is a very active forager.

@tekjunkie- not sure what you're suggesting. I need to treat the Ich imbedded in/on my fish while allowing time for the Ich in my DT to die. No other options really. Just leaving them alone and continuing to feed might be less stress short term, but the Ich will progress and eventually kill them if left untreated

tekjunkie28
10/09/2012, 07:31 PM
No it 'could' kill them. Many many tanks have ICH. But more power to you if u have the room for a QT tank. I don't so I don't quarantine. I do want to make a suggestion though. I would do hypo and not the cuprimine. It's much more stressful and that alone could kill the fish. But you do have a hardy fish so gl and keep us informed.

fishouttawater
10/09/2012, 07:38 PM
Sorry to keep this going, but here is my plan, please correct or suggest anything I'm leaving out:
Pulled a roughly 10 gallon cooler out of the garage, it will be my hospital tank. Going to LFS tomorrow for Cupramine, maybe prazi, and an airstone/airpump. Will hit Home Depot for PVC sections for hiding places. I will mix up some saltwater and transfer my 5 fish into the cooler to begin dosing. I am planning to do 1 gallon water changes on the cooler every week, replenishing proportionate amount of Cupramine when needed. After fallow period is over do 50% water change on DT (24gallon tank) and transfer the (hopefully ich free) inhabitants.

fishouttawater
10/09/2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks! I hope with careful dosing and observation I (and my fish) will pull through this early setback...I will update as I go.

MrTuskfish
10/10/2012, 07:38 AM
You have to do WCs when you have ammonia, if the tank cycles and you have no ammonia, no reason for a WC.

MrTuskfish
10/10/2012, 07:41 AM
So sure going to stress out the fish more by putting him in QT? Makes since. I'd would just leave them in the tank and feed. That way u will keep stress down. It's just 2 fish

Moving fish to a QT isn't going to hurt them. You are giving "stress" way too much power. Not treating ich is a big mistake; sooner or later, the ich will always win. I won't comment on the " It's just 2 fish" comment except to say that the two ich-infected fish in the DT will infect any new fish as well.

fishouttawater
10/10/2012, 10:12 AM
MrTuskfish- that was my thinking, too. I am still unclear on the minimal requirements for the QT/HT filtration to maintain water quality. Am I stupid to go without a filter and just an airstone? The only reason I think I might get away with it is my bioload is small. I am trying to limit the $$ I have to spend getting this QT set up....

h2so4hurts
10/10/2012, 11:24 AM
Am I stupid to go without a filter and just an airstone?

You need these and a heater at the minimum.

My QT tanks all have an air driven sponge filter and a heater. They work great.

fishouttawater
10/10/2012, 02:08 PM
Ok. Just returned from LFS, have my new sponge filter (XY 2807 made my XINYOU). I was checking it out and in addition to the dark grey outer sponge there is a small cylindrical green stone on the inside, connected to the airline. Would this contain carbon and therefore not be good for use with Cupramine? Or is it just an airstone? Anyone know?? Box/instructions are in Chinese so no help there...

ALSO* on box it is called "super biochemical sponge filter"...?