PDA

View Full Version : 20g to 65g Chemistry Help/Advice.

jtomasi
10/09/2012, 01:53 PM
I currently have a 20g long tank and I am moving to a 65 gallon reef ready. Some background, I had a 45 gallon tank for about 3 years before moving back home 3 months ago and putting most of the live rock and coral in the 20 long (temporary solution until I moved out)

What I need advice on –If I move the 20g tank into the 65g tank but add 60more pounds of dry rock and roughly 80% new water (20g long as sump) , am I going to cause a nitrogen cycle?

A little but about the dry rock. It was the old rock that I took out of my 45g tank, bleached, soaked and de-chlorified (which is what I did with EVERY piece of rock when I started my 45g 3 years ago. Worked amazing, seeded with 3 types of 2x2cm pieces of coralline algae I got from the local fish store. If anyone has ever had doubts about starting a tank like that, don’t, it was the best decision I have ever made. You never know what you’re going to get on live rock from the fish store. I have literally never had one smidge of nuisance critters or algae)

Anyway, should I wait and put in a small amount at a time? Or should I just start this tank like I did the 45 and then put the live rock that is in my 20g once the 65g has cycled?

Please note the tank is mature and I only run live rock, skimmer and filer sock for “filtration”.

Thank you in advance for the advice!

bertoni
10/09/2012, 02:48 PM
I suspect the dry rock will be fine, but you could put it in a tub of water and a powerhead for a few days to see whether there's any ammonia spike. If not, it'll be safe to add.