PDA

View Full Version : Chaetodon fasciatus. Anyone keep, or have advice on them?(posted in reef fish too)

Apercula
10/09/2012, 05:34 PM
The Red Sea Raccoon Butterfly has been on my "hope to get one someday" list going back to the '90s when I worked at a fish store that got one in.

There is one currently listed on Diver's Den that is listed at 4inches. This isn't a great time for me to be buying a fish, but I can adjust some plans to accomodate it if I decide to buy it.

Questions,
Long term would a 75g fowlr be suitable for this fish and maybe 3other small fish (clown pair and fairy wrasse)? Live Aquaria lists a minimum 70g, but I'm leary of a fish that can get 8inches in a 4'x18" footprint tank.

If the 75g would be ok as a permanent home, would a 40g breeder, or a standard 55g be ok as a quarantine/temporary home for 3-4 months?
My 75g just finished a velvet wipeout, and I am moving this week. I can get the 40 or 55 set up today at the new place with clean, safe liverock. Then do a total clean up of the 75g and let it sit dry for a couple months to be sure no velvet survives.

Last question, for now, would be feeding. What would be the best bet to get it started, and would there be a reasonable chance to get it on a decent pellet eventually?(nls) I've got a variety of frozen meaty foods available and with some travel can get to fresh seafood like live clams and mussels.