PDA

View Full Version : Question about aquascaping post DRY rock curing

ReefShrink
10/09/2012, 10:10 PM
So I have started curing my DRY rock. I got dry pukani rock and eco saver rock. The eco saver was pretty much clean and didn't have any visible organic material. The pukani had quite a bit of dead organic matter on it still.

Here are some assumptions I am making:
Once the curing is done, that dead organic material should be gone. Therefore, since it was DRY rock to begin with it shouldn't have any living/organic material left on it.

So, does that mean I can pull the rocks out of the water once cured and play around with them for a day or two while I figue out the aquascaping and then go ahead and directly place them into the tank and begin cycling?

Reverond
10/09/2012, 11:27 PM
I would say the simple answer is yes. And the complicated answer is kinda. :-)
So after curing the rock will basically have cycled at least a little bit as the dead organics will have basically broken into ammonia. So although the rock will not have creatures and other such life on it, is most likely will have the bacteria needed to break down ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. So leaving the rock out of water for long periods of time make have a effect on the bacteria poplation. But nothing a second cycle would not cure.

ebacon
10/09/2012, 11:57 PM
Agree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ReefShrink
10/10/2012, 05:40 PM
Okay kind of what I was thinking. I have quite a bit of rock so will go ahead and put some of the pieces I won't be using in the tank to keep the bacteria going and help reseed the aquascaped pieces when they go into the tank. Thanks!

hollister
10/10/2012, 08:44 PM
I wouldnt leave the rock out of the tank more then a few minutes. Working on the rock scape a few days should not hurt much just leave the rock in there.

ReefShrink
10/10/2012, 09:51 PM
^ Oh yeah! Duh... why didn't I think of that! Thanks!