PDA

View Full Version : How to determine copepod density

nrbelk
10/10/2012, 12:16 PM
I hear people say "I have plenty of pods" and others say "wait till you have more pods"

But how do you determine if you have proper pod density? For example, I can look at me glass at any spot and see at least one moving white speck in at least a 2 inch square. Is that how you determine pod density?

I would think that they would be on the rocks/sand more than the glass.

Thanks!

Subw00er
10/10/2012, 02:41 PM
I think you're on the right track. If you see a few in a one inch square, thats pretty good. Thats what I have in a 50g and I maintain a mandarin. I use a HOB fuge.

MrG
10/10/2012, 02:54 PM
This is something I'd be interested in hearing some input on as well.

I would also be curious about pod population distribution. That is, if you have at least one type of pod population, does that mean you likely have others? I ask this because in my tank, I see a good number of amphipods in both the display and the fuge, but I see very few copepods anywhere.

CRJ
10/10/2012, 02:59 PM
Ive been maintaining a mandarin for the past 6 months without much issue. Basicly if you can pot them your OK. Watch the goby for loss of weight. mine has started to loose a bit of weight so he is now on a hand fed bloodworm and shrimp diet thats vitamin enriched to help his weight. Theres a reason they are advanced fish.

If you dont feel comfortable with it, wait. the longer you wait the more pods there will be.

aandfsoccr04
10/10/2012, 05:43 PM
stick a piece of raw shrimp in there on a skewer and see how many are on it in like 30 minutes.

hollister
10/10/2012, 05:51 PM
You have to look late at night hours after lights out. Use a dim flashlight and look around. If you see 1 there 10 if you see 10 theres 100.