PDA

View Full Version : Need help! My peacock is acting very odd!

JJOHN82
10/10/2012, 03:31 PM
About 3-4 days ago my shrimp started acting strange he doesn't move around much at all doesn't want to eat and we does move he goes into freak out mode flies all around the tank. Several times jumping up and hitting the glass. Then he just curls up into a ball and drops to the sand bed where he lays for a while before getting up and going into his hole. I thought he was molting but he hasn't yet. He is in a 47 tall with a clown and anemone and a file fish. Water parameters are normal. Any ideas?

Fartin'Gary
10/10/2012, 04:00 PM
Could be a bad molt. You are sure no toxins got into the tank like cleaning sprays and such?

JJOHN82
10/10/2012, 04:32 PM
No toxins. The only thing that I've done is recently did a chemiclean dose.

Fartin'Gary
10/10/2012, 05:09 PM
I found this http://reefcentral.com/forums//showthread.php?t=1886673

Do a google search for chemiclean and inverts. It may be having a bad molt though. Trouble getting the old shell off. It's always a very bad idea to add any chemicals or anything to the tank when the mantis is getting ready to molt or molting.

JJOHN82
10/10/2012, 05:54 PM
Ok so the chemiclean could have caused a problem. I'll replace the carbon filter and add an air butler state but it sounds like he might just be stressed and possibly going through a molt stage doesn't help.... Thank you so much!

TundraGuy
10/11/2012, 06:59 AM
I want to start by saying I love a few of the Boyd products. But one stands out as a product that I truly hate without ever using it myself is Chemiclean. I have seen too many people have issues with the use of this product. It’s a fast fix for tanks and in my experience nothing good happens quickly in these tanks. I would link this to your mantis behavior even baring not knowing any of the specifics of the tank.

Is your mantis still alive? If so I recommend doing some large WC add carbon and crank up the PS to remove this stuff from the tank. Can I ask why it was used? Maybe the guys on RC me included in that can figure out a long term solution to the reason it was added instead of a fast fix. I am not trying to flame you if that’s how all this reads. This is not my intention in the least. My end game is to try and help aid you in getting your tank healthy. Did you have a cyano out break? If so this leads me down another route. Cyano needs light where as a Peacock does not. Cyano needs nutrients in the water the peacock does not. Where I am going with this is find out what is adding the nutrients (most likely phosphate) and remove this via more frequent W/C, or adding phosphate removers with or without the use of a reactor (steer clear of any aluminium-based phosphate binders), add a fuge full of fast growing macro (like Mexicana I suggest this due to its fast growth), or a different food sorce. I understand that your growing an anemone and will add to this conversation that if in fact you do have a peacock with an anemone the lights needed to keep the anemone alive will end up killing your peacock. So something will have to change if this is the case. Move one or the other and remove the light from the mantis, cyano will have a hard time finding light to feed off with no light above it.

Can you do us a favor and post a pix of the shrimp and tank up for us to check out and see what your working with? Again I hope to help and am in no way trying to flame you.

JJOHN82
10/11/2012, 08:45 AM
Not a problem! I don't feel like you are flaming me. I've had mantis shrimps off and on for over 5 years now with great success. This is the newest tank I have put together and you are right about the light. I didn't know that mantis shrimps don't like a lot of light and unfortunately I have an air sol over the top of this tank though I only run it at about 40 percent power and timers are set up to peak at 40 percent for only 3 hours a day. The reason I did the chemiclean was because I literally had about 70 percent sand coverage with red slime. I checked my phosphate levels and they are non existent. I also have calpura* algae naturally growing in the tank which keeps the nitrates at zero. My shrimp is still alive and doing much better today. I moved a power head up to where it is drawing air into the water and changed my carbon filters last night. I woke up this morning to him beating the crap out of a large turbo snail. I will be doing a water change tonight.

Fartin'Gary
10/11/2012, 08:56 AM
Male peacocks are susceptible to shell rot more than females. No one knows what causes it but we know that over exposure to bright light is a factor. Peacocks live 30-40 feet down or more where the light is a dimmer blue spectrum. The light on my tank is filtered and stays off 90% of the time. I only turn it on for feedings and to view her every now and then. There are no corals or light dependent critters in my mantis tank. Other species of mantis like the shallow water intertidal ones are not affected by light.

JJOHN82
10/11/2012, 10:59 AM
Her is a pic of the tank. It's a little bubbly for obvious reasons

TundraGuy
10/12/2012, 05:39 AM
Cool tank, but me thinks not so much for a peacock. I like that you’re going for the central pillar look I think that’s great. Have you seen this one? http://reef builders.com/2010/07/31/upside-nano-reef-john-ciotti/ (just remove the space between reef and builders for the link to work.) I like this concept so much. Looks good to me. :thumbsup:

JJOHN82
10/12/2012, 07:01 AM
Thanks! Just a quick update. I did a 50 percent wager change with water from my old reef tank and my shrimp immediately seemed much better! He ate immediately and this morning was out and about hunting around. This weekend he will go back in his original habitat (his old 20g) I'm going to give him some play room though. The 47 tall will be a mixed reef tank from here on. Possibly even get another mantis that can tolerate light for that tank.

TundraGuy
10/12/2012, 07:29 AM
Check your Petco for the Dollar a gallon sale one near me has a ton of 40 breeders for $40 again. It tickles me to no end when they do this. I think a 40 breeder is just about right for a peacock. IMO it’s the smallest someone should consider for a peacocks full life expectancy. Looking forward to seeing how all your tanks turn to mantis tanks. Lol been there done that and Loved every minute of it!

JJOHN82
10/12/2012, 07:50 AM
Come to think of it...... They did have 40 breeders out in a big pile the other day. Didn't check price though. Hmmmm

TundraGuy
10/12/2012, 10:17 AM
Mwhahahaha!

Fartin'Gary
10/12/2012, 10:39 AM
Get two if they are on sale. One for the tank and one for the sump. Can't beat 80 gallons of water! Then you can have a lot of fun stocking the sump too.

JJOHN82
10/12/2012, 12:09 PM
Hahahaha don't temp me with a good time! Oh the wife is going to be very unhappy. One more tank will make it an even 6 tanks in the house!

Fartin'Gary
10/12/2012, 12:28 PM
It will technically only be one more tank. Just two compartments.:lolspin:

TundraGuy
10/14/2012, 05:19 AM
6 ****ssst New Guy!! Everyone knows 7 is whatz up.............

JJOHN82
10/14/2012, 04:33 PM
So an update. He has been ok the last couple days. I did a 50 percent water change from my reef tank that doesn't get dosed with anything and replaced the carbon filters. He has been active and eating but this morning all the sudden he is laying at the bottom of the tank on his back flapping his fins and every now and then surging his whole body. Really don't know what going on..... I hope it is just a bad molt and I really hope he makes it through it. Should I put him in a different tank?

Fartin'Gary
10/14/2012, 04:53 PM
You shouldn't mess with him it will just stress it more. Lights out and hope it gets better.

JJOHN82
10/15/2012, 05:41 AM
He died at about 2 hours ago.... Thanks for the help all.... Only one thing to do now..... Order another!

TundraGuy
10/15/2012, 09:09 AM
No build the "40 breeder/s" then order another!
Sorry to hear bout the loss.
Better luck with the next one.

JJOHN82
10/15/2012, 09:54 AM
They don't have the sell on the 40 breeders right now. They said they are doing it again in January. I've got a 20 that I'll put the new one in for the time being. It has low powered t5 lighting. They actually have a male peacock in stock on my local shop that about 3 inches long. He's on hold and awaiting my arrival. He's been in a hamster ball for several weeks..... Feel bad for the little guy. Probably going to break down the 47 tall and sell it to await a new build. Definitely want a 40 breeder.