PDA

View Full Version : Stock List

Mr. Fish
10/10/2012, 11:15 PM
OK, so I am having a 250 gallon tank being built along with a 80 gallon sump. I want it to be a SPS tank, so I have over a 1000 watts over the tank. I have a SWC Xtreme 250 1A protein skimmer and I will carbon dose with vodka.

Here is my stock list, please let me know what you think of it. Do you think that is too many fish, or could I add a couple more?

5 blue green chromis
1 male bartlett Anthias
4 female bartlett
1 Achilles tang
1 helfrichi firefish
1 blue throat trigger
1 yellow tang
1 golden dwarf moray eel
1 Christmas wrasse
3 chalk bass
1 convict tang
1 flame angel
1 potters angel
1 royal gramma

Reef264
10/11/2012, 01:34 AM
Your tank could house those inhabitants.Yes.

Mr. Fish
10/11/2012, 08:13 AM
This is my largest tank and is almost five times the size of what I'm used to, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over stocking it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

spsexpert
10/11/2012, 08:31 AM
the eel and trigger may kill most or all of your smaller sized fish if not feed well
the eel may also escape with an insecure tank
Achilles tang requires a very established tank
the chromis will get slowly picked off until 1 is left
the anthias aren't beginner fish either

Reef264
10/11/2012, 08:55 AM
spsexpert has a point, about the Eel, to a certain extent.The Golden Dwarf Moray has has much success being housed in a reef with inverts, but there is that chance you may get one that had an appetite for crustaceans.I would advise a Zebra Moray, They are very doscile, easy going creatures.Mine is 3' and has never even looked at the smallest thing with the intent of harm.

-Ray

Mr. Fish
10/11/2012, 09:31 AM
I know that zebras have good track records, but what draws me to the GDM is the small size; I don't really want a 5 foot eel cruising through my reef.

I refuse to have anything with claws in the tank, since I've had terrible luck with hermits/shrimp eating sps, so the only small inverts I'll have in the tank will be snails.

It sounds like the biggest risk for the eel eating something is small fish. Since the eel is so small the fish at risk would have to be relatively small too (<1.5") for them to be eaten. All my fish that I am interested in grow larger than that, so hopefully they won't be at risk. I understand that I am taking a chance, but IMO it's worth it.

Now the with the Blue Jaw I highly doubt that would kill my small fish, even if I starved the thing.

Mr. Fish
10/11/2012, 09:37 AM
the anthias aren't beginner fish either

I'm not a beginner, I've been reef keeping for over 7 years. I just wanted some extra eyes going over my stock list since this tank is on a much larger scale than I'm used to.

Reef264
10/11/2012, 11:15 AM
I understand about the Eel.I often ponder getting a GDM due to there smaller size.Blue Jaws have a good record in reefs as well.

-Ray

Mr. Fish
10/11/2012, 05:27 PM
I assume you have your zebra in a reef? How do you feed yours?

Reef264
10/11/2012, 08:12 PM
Mine is, yes.I feed it 3 Raw Shrimp every 3-4 days, by hand.He (Merv) has a Fire Shrimp that is on him 24/7, even when Merv is out swimming stretched out, very entertaining.I got Merv as a Pup around 10" 2 years ago, he is now 36".

-Ray