PDA

View Full Version : Moving the family and the tank to Champaign

Curt2199
10/11/2012, 08:29 AM
We're moving next week on the 17th from Decatur.

Do you guys have some tips on moving livestock and corals without deaths? I have a 72 gallon bowfront with 29 gallon fuge. My main concern is temperature drops as it's getting colder out, so I thought about buying some of those styrofoam cooler containers and putting pieces of live rock w/coral attached and livestock in them with the tank water.

Also, I'm planning to get us much water out as possible, leaving only the wet sand bed at the bottom of the tank. It'll be in an enclosed trailer for the hour drive.

Curtis

syrinx
10/11/2012, 05:05 PM
Styros will work fine- and your plan seems good. Some folks use heat packs and such, but for a short move might be more problem than a aid. Most all of you livestock has traveled half way around the world to get to you- o a few hours are not likely to be an issue. I would remind you to catch fish like blennies and other rock hiders- or see what rock they go into to make sure you dont leave anyone high and dry. I move many tanks a year- and have zero losses.

DrewPalmer04
10/11/2012, 07:04 PM
Short move. No issues. I've moved from champaign to southern Illinois. 3 1/2 hours and had no losses

sail33
10/11/2012, 07:20 PM
Last into the truck, first out. Know where you're going to put the tank on arrival. Don't forget to leave space behind the tank for overflow box or what ever else hangs there. Don't rush through the first stages.

Set up the tank and then slowly add water to the sump so you don't have tons of sand floating.

As soon as there is enough water in the tank, add the fish and other livestock. Put in at least one powerhead aimed so that the surface is agitated.

You can do the rest of the set up after the truck is empty, your friends have finished the pizza and beer and the house is secure.

Then unpack the bed get that ready. Now you can work on the tank as late as you like. For that matter, you can prolly wait until the next day to complete the tank.

Good luck on the move.

tommer725
10/11/2012, 08:02 PM
I use big rubbermaid boxes. They work fine and they are so big that water is okay because you have more water quantity in one big one than a bunch of smaller ones. Just put a few battery powered bubblers in the if possible.

lcashman
10/12/2012, 05:51 AM
Sand would be only concern.

IMO, I would replace the sand bed (if you have one) at this time as it may cause an ammonia/nitrate/nitrite spike if disturbed.
Also you may stress the bottom panel of the tank by leaving the sand in the tank. That could cause the bottom panel to crack or possible a seal to leak.

I moved from the Peoria area to Decatur and had good luck with moving everything. I lost some of the sps I had, but with the temperature differences, I considered that part of moving everything. I would recommend is to have enough new saltwater mixed up for the system. Also be sure to acclimate everything slowly as the water temp drops quickly once you start tearing everything down.