PDA

View Full Version : mixing salt and water temperature?

lespaul339
10/11/2012, 08:47 AM
When mixing salt does it have to be in the 75-78 degree range, or can I mix it at room temp when mixing salt for a brand new tank? I just don't want to heat up the water yet because I only have enough to do about half of the water for my aquarium now, and the next half will be ready in the next two days, so it wouldn't make sense to heat the water and then have it cool down. Or is mixing it at room temp ok, but once i get my aquarium full just check thespecific gravity at the desired temp range and then adjust accordingly?

thegrun
10/11/2012, 09:10 AM
It is fine to mix it at lower temperatures but it takes longer for the salt to dissolve. When mixing at too high a water temperature reef salt mixes with high calcium and alkalinity levels have a tendency precipitate calcium out of the water table due to the lower holding capacity of the water with elevated temperatures

disc1
10/11/2012, 09:19 AM
It is actually the cooler the better because it helps prevent precipitation of calcium carbonate.

heritage
10/11/2012, 09:22 AM
Doesn't matter, but why not wait till you have the tank full ?

lespaul339
10/11/2012, 09:27 AM
I just called instant ocean and they told me if I mix it at room temp I will get floating calcium deposits on the water. She said it was best to mix it in a seporate container, heated, with a designated powerhead just for mixing salt with.

lespaul339
10/11/2012, 09:28 AM
I didn't want to mix it in my aquarium because I heard it can leave a scum on the tank. I don't know if thats true, this is my first tank set up and I just don't want any headaches so I'm just trying to make sure I do everything right from the start.

disc1
10/11/2012, 09:31 AM
I just called instant ocean and they told me if I mix it at room temp I will get floating calcium deposits on the water. She said it was best to mix it in a seporate container, heated, with a designated powerhead just for mixing salt with.

If she recommended you heat it to avoid calcium carbonate deposits then she definitely does not know what she is talking about. Generally, with salts that is the way it works. But Calcium Carbonate has what is called "retrograde solubility" which means it works backwards of everything else. It is more soluble at colder temps and higher pressures.

That is a chemical fact that you can look up for yourself.

disc1
10/11/2012, 09:32 AM
It is the reason you get so much more calcium deposits on powerheads and pumps. Because they're warmer.

heritage
10/11/2012, 09:39 AM
Yeah, all I use is IO and I have mixed it in water that I just finished making up from my rodi, maybe as low as 60 degrees to room temp to running a heater for a couple of hours bringing the temp up to 78 and never had a problem with precip. So either way I think you will be fine, just have a good pump or powerhead to mix it. Be sure to add the salt to the water and not water to the salt, this can cause calcium precip.

Up to you but I always mix my salt in my tanks once there filled, it can leave the glass looking cloudy but a quick wipe with a cleaning magnet or scrubber takes it right off.

lespaul339
10/11/2012, 09:40 AM
So mixing it at room temp is fine? I'm mixing a large quantity of water at a shot here. Like 36 gallons. Just want to make sure I won't have any problems mixing room temp and then heating up the water once it's in the tank.

thegrun
10/11/2012, 10:49 AM
So mixing it at room temp is fine? I'm mixing a large quantity of water at a shot here. Like 36 gallons. Just want to make sure I won't have any problems mixing room temp and then heating up the water once it's in the tank.

9 out of 10 pros agree (actually 10 out of 10), you are fine mixing it at lower temperatures.

lespaul339
10/11/2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks, everyone.

lespaul339
10/11/2012, 06:48 PM
Just mixed my first batch of salt water. 36 gallons. It's been mixed for about two hours now and the water is nice and clear. Tested it and the specific gravity is 1.024. Success!