PDA

View Full Version : Cycling QT Quick, without keeping it always running

Ryand63
10/11/2012, 09:42 AM
So this is the first time I"ve had a QT which I had to set up emergency style to accomdate some ich infested fish. For next time, what is an easy way to keep it from cycling like it is now lets say when I buy a new fish and want to quarantine him? I dont have a sump with a filter sock or anything I just have a DT w/ live rock, live sand and soon to be HOB skimmmer. How can I better prepare the QT for new arrivals?

awolusa
10/11/2012, 09:48 AM
I never cycle my QT. just shut it down and drain it when not using and fill with water after purchasing a new fish. I have never lost a fish in the QT doing this. Been doing it this way for close to 3 years

Ryand63
10/11/2012, 09:59 AM
That was my plan orignially, but this time around when I had to put my first two fish in the QT to treat, within 2 days I was already showing ammonia of about .5. So you just set it up before going to buy and then just do frequent water changes ro something?

Oppee
10/11/2012, 10:08 AM
You could keep a sponge behind one of the live rocks in the back corner of your dt and attach it to a powerhead in the qt to work as a filter when you need to set up the qt.

Ryand63
10/11/2012, 10:13 AM
i nkow this is a dumb questions but what type of sponge?

sponger0
10/11/2012, 10:16 AM
Or a more simple solution, keep it running and you wont have to worry about cycling it

stingythingy45
10/11/2012, 10:22 AM
You could also buy a cheap hob filter like a Whisper or a Marineland and run just the filter pad and biomedia in there on your DT for a few weeks.Then just move it to your QT when you're ready to put fish in there.

thegrun
10/11/2012, 10:44 AM
Or a more simple solution, keep it running and you wont have to worry about cycling it

Every time I try that technique the tank morphs into another nano-reef tank!

sponger0
10/11/2012, 10:45 AM
Every time I try that technique the tank morphs into another nano-reef tank!

Lol....I guess I have self control. Most of the time when my QT isnt used, I forget its there cause the light is off and its hardly noticable.

Ryand63
10/11/2012, 11:36 AM
You could also buy a cheap hob filter like a Whisper or a Marineland and run just the filter pad and biomedia in there on your DT for a few weeks.Then just move it to your QT when you're ready to put fish in there.

How do you keep the ich from getting transferred back in the DT when putting the HOB filter back. I have a HOB filter on my QT now but how would i know its safe to put it on my DT

stingythingy45
10/11/2012, 11:40 AM
I forgot,what you have there now is not a QT,but,a hospital tank.
I would change the media/filter before going back to the DT.And wash out the filter body with very hot water.

Ryand63
10/11/2012, 12:00 PM
Yeah sorry it is a hospital tank at the moment. But after rinsing with hot water and maybe letting dry out for a few days, throw it on the DT with some floss or something and then use that to seed the future QT?

stingythingy45
10/11/2012, 12:08 PM
Yup,
QT one or two fish at a time,add the fish to the DT once they're treated or observed for a few weeks.
Then start with a clean/new media filter for a couple weeks to seed it again.

I've treated several small fish in a 20L tank years back and didn't have it cycled.Just had to do lots of water changes during a hyposalinity treatment at SG 1.008.

worm5406
10/11/2012, 01:09 PM
How do you keep the ich from getting transferred back in the DT when putting the HOB filter back. I have a HOB filter on my QT now but how would i know its safe to put it on my DT

By NOT putting it back on until cleaned VERY WELL.

That is one that I was going to mention for GP. Make sure to clean what ever you put in the QT/HT if you are moving it back and forth.

To take water from your DT and put in your QT is good to. That way you know it is correct with SAL. as long as you dont already have a problem with your DT.

:debi:

Ryand63
10/11/2012, 01:50 PM
the hypo way seems easier than coppper to maintain while doing frequent water changes...are there certain fish taht DO NOT do well in hypo as opposed to copper?

Sk8r
10/11/2012, 02:00 PM
I can't think of any. Fish are naturally equipped to cope with salinity changes as they swim through, say, a rainstorm---they move to where they're more comfortable, naturally, but salinity is not a universal constant in the oceans. It's sudden rises they cope least well with. Ich, however, is a sandbed creature, and doesn't adapt as well. That's why hypo works.

stingythingy45
10/11/2012, 02:19 PM
Also,if you do hypo, your definitely need a refractor.

Ryand63
10/11/2012, 02:38 PM
that is one thing I DO need to get asap. will invest in one very soon. but quick question about the actual thread question lol, once the QT or HT what have you is comlpete and done, how do I ensure that the HOB filter is ready to put back on the DT?