PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my first inhabitants for my qt and later display tank

paparchasa84
10/11/2012, 05:18 PM
I know it may not be a big deal to alot of people but, I just added two true clownfish to my qt. water params where on the money before i added them. I started with the drip acclimation and then, after floating the bag for 45 mins i took half the store water out added my tank water in. Let that sit and after 30 mins added them to my qt and they loved it. I hope they make it thru the first night bc i don't have the pvc they need to hide yet. Ill pick that up tom.

What signs should i look for in the coming days to notice if they have any diseases or anything?

MuffsAbby
10/11/2012, 06:41 PM
Congrats on your new clowns! As for what to look for...I watch for both appearance and behavior. Appearance: keep an eye out for any marks, spots, blotches, fuzzy appearance or slime coat (brook), noticeable fading of color, damaged fins, cloudy eyes and basically anything else that appears out of the ordinary. As for behavior: ensure the fish is eating well, watch for any rapid breathing or gasping for air at the surface, any scratching against objects, or lethargic behavior.

Also, although your water parameters were good when you added the fish, you can quickly have issues with ammonia if the QT wasn't cycled prior to adding the clowns. So, test your water daily. Good luck!

paparchasa84
10/12/2012, 03:56 AM
Thank you! Before adding the fish i added nutrin instant cycle to help with the beneficial bacteria. To help with the beneficial bacteria. And ill keep an eye on params. i have 40 gals of fresh ro di water on hand quick changes.

sponger0
10/12/2012, 06:57 AM
Mostly keep your eye on salinity and ammonia. If ammonia begins to rise you can use amquel or prime to nuetralize it.

You should pay attention to their eating habits, if they are eating and what they like to eat. Dont feed too much though.

One thing I would recommend is reading the sticky on diseases and get yourself familiar with them. That will help you identify what diseases they if have, if they have any.

paparchasa84
10/12/2012, 07:01 AM
Mostly keep your eye on salinity and ammonia. If ammonia begins to rise you can use amquel or prime to nuetralize it.

You should pay attention to their eating habits, if they are eating and what they like to eat. Dont feed too much though.

One thing I would recommend is reading the sticky on diseases and get yourself familiar with them. That will help you identify what diseases they if have, if they have any.

Ok thanks! Right now i just have flake food im going to be checking the salinty and water params in a few minutes. I fed them once already today and they start eating i think once i put the pvc for hiding places they'll be fine. Right now they are swimming around a bit but earlier they were just both playing around in a corner of the tank. If ammonia is present when i check water should i do a water change and then get some amquel or prime?

sponger0
10/12/2012, 07:05 AM
Ok thanks! Right now i just have flake food im going to be checking the salinty and water params in a few minutes. I fed them once already today and they start eating i think once i put the pvc for hiding places they'll be fine. Right now they are swimming around a bit but earlier they were just both playing around in a corner of the tank. If ammonia is present when i check water should i do a water change and then get some amquel or prime?

I would do one or the other. There shouldnt be a problem using an ammonia nuetralizer.

Yes...definately get them some pvc.

Are you using a hydrometer or refractometer for salinity?

paparchasa84
10/12/2012, 07:19 AM
I would do one or the other. There shouldnt be a problem using an ammonia nuetralizer.

Yes...definately get them some pvc.

Are you using a hydrometer or refractometer for salinity?

Im using a refractometer for salinity. Whats a good zone to have the water right now its at the same as the dt which is 1.025 is that too high?

Also im using nutrafin cycle put some in as directed before adding fish with the filter and powerhead for movement and then I added the fish and added some more of that this morning. i would like to use water changes to get rid of ammonia if i have any instead of using more chemicals. Unless the ammonia neutralizer isnt considered medicine?

sponger0
10/12/2012, 07:24 AM
Refractometer...good!

1.025 is perfect

And they arent considered a medicine. More like water treatment.

paparchasa84
10/12/2012, 08:28 AM
Good ok thanks again.

QT water Params are as follows:

ph 8.1
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate looks around 5 ppm or a little less which is the same thing i have in my dt

paparchasa84
10/12/2012, 11:49 AM
Also one of the fish is turning a little darker than the other. Almost black on the upper part of the body. Just fed them and they are both moving around devouring the food :) Just wanted to see if thats normal? does a new environment/lack of hiding spots do this to them? getting pvc for hiding tom