PDA

View Full Version : fuge?

gobywonkenobi
10/11/2012, 07:08 PM
Starting a 5.5gal sps dominate reef tank and im going sumpless. I picked up a new ac50 and I was wondering if i should set it up as a refugium or if i should use phospad and chemipure elite. Any thoughts?

TundraGuy
10/12/2012, 06:28 AM
No fish then no fuge. I would go with the media route. On such a set up you can allways change things up to your liking down the road

gobywonkenobi
10/12/2012, 06:55 AM
I was hoping to be able to put either a cardinalfish and harlequin shrimp or a cardinalfish and a frozen fed mandarin. If I did that i would need to make it a fuge? Are there any threads on modding an aquaclear?

TundraGuy
10/12/2012, 10:33 AM
Check this out!

The ac110 can accept a media basket as well as a tunze 9002.
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaClear-110-Media-Basket-Fits-Tunze-9002-AC110MRX.htm

Just what the Doctor ordered Me thinks.

Anyone with a nano will tell you that stability is the key. Having such a small volume of water places you in a situation where the equation gets unbalanced in a hurry. With fish being on the side of creating waste you’ll want ways of overcoming and dealing with this. By adding a system that removes organics such as fish poop will add in keeping it more balanced. With SPS loving clean water the need for a fuge is negligible without big waist producers such as fish. I am a big fan of the reef guys that can build a miniature reef without fish. To me this would be more of an aquatic garden, with the SPS being the show pieces. Once you add fish they almost always steal the attention. It’s up to you to decide what you’re going to have or not have. My two cents are based solely on what I prefer. But again the beauty of a nano is that you can change any aspect of it without a big cash/time out lay.

Hzuiel
10/12/2012, 03:29 PM
I've had people getting fussy with me for planning to put a tank raise frozen fed mandarin in a 20 gallon. Isn't 5.5g too small?

tommer725
10/12/2012, 05:01 PM
yes...you need really 70 gallons of grazing space to keep a mandarin
no matter what..

gobywonkenobi
10/12/2012, 06:46 PM
Okay... Well regardless of what i was thinking about putting in it. I think i will just make it a fuge

bolling
10/12/2012, 06:57 PM
Starting a 5.5gal sps dominate reef tank and im going sumpless. I picked up a new ac50 and I was wondering if i should set it up as a refugium or if i should use phospad and chemipure elite. Any thoughts?
I have a JBJ 28 and I have four fish in it. I added a fuge about a week and a half ago and I just tested my nitrates and for the first time it was zero. It is way to early to tell, just what I have seen so far. I use the center of the media basket and the narrow chamber next to it for the macro.