PDA

View Full Version : Crocrea placement.

Charley Diesing
10/11/2012, 07:08 PM
I'm new to clams. I've had a gorgeous Crocrea(about 4 inches). Well I think its a crocrea. Anyway... I was told to set it on a small rock, which I did. Later on it attached itself to the rock, and I moved the rock higher up(about 4 inches below the water line, right below my MH 150W. It has been there for about 2 months now with no problems.

Just wanna make sure I'm doing everything right.

Thanks alot,

charley

Smnparish
10/11/2012, 08:26 PM
Sounds alright as long as it fully extends every day and has maintained its color. Croceas are rock dwelling clams naturally.

Charley Diesing
10/11/2012, 09:02 PM
Sounds alright as long as it fully extends every day and has maintained its color. Croceas are rock dwelling clams naturally.

Alright! Awesome, and yes fully extended mantle and great color!

Also are Crocreas the only clams that cling to rocks? I would like to add another one down the line. As long as this guy does well.

Thanks,

Charley

leveldrummer
10/12/2012, 07:43 AM
Alright! Awesome, and yes fully extended mantle and great color!

Also are Crocreas the only clams that cling to rocks? I would like to add another one down the line. As long as this guy does well.

Thanks,

Charley

every clam will attach it self to something. and a rock is usually better then the bottom of your tank in the sand. you can get any clam, set them on a rock, then move them around with the rock they are attached to, just make sure where you place them has sufficient lighting for them.

Charley Diesing
10/12/2012, 10:57 AM
every clam will attach it self to something. and a rock is usually better then the bottom of your tank in the sand. you can get any clam, set them on a rock, then move them around with the rock they are attached to, just make sure where you place them has sufficient lighting for them.

Alright, awesome! That makes sense. So my MH 150W is about 7 inches from the water surface, my tank is a 40 Breeder(16 Inches tall). Could I support clams on the bottom of my tank?

Smnparish
10/12/2012, 12:50 PM
Maximas and squamosas can go on rocks, but derasas I would leave in the sandbed. Maybe right under the bulb you could keep a derasa on the sandbed, derasas in general need the least light of all the clams.

Charley Diesing
10/12/2012, 01:54 PM
Maximas and squamosas can go on rocks, but derasas I would leave in the sandbed. Maybe right under the bulb you could keep a derasa on the sandbed, derasas in general need the least light of all the clams.

Awesome! would love to get some other opinions on this as well!

Thanks,

Charley

Alex T.
10/20/2012, 11:01 PM
I had 2 croceas in a 29 gallon tank under a 150 halide. They did ok, but lost a little of their brilliance. When I moved them to a 150 upgrade under 400 watt Radiums, they came back in full splendor with vivid, bright colors. Under a 150, you should probably keep a crocea as close to the light source as possible. It's almost impossible to give a crocea clam too much light. Not that they're that much easier, but a Maxima clam may be a better bet in the long run. A Derasa or Squamosa would be fine, but they get too big IMO for the size tank you have.