PDA

View Full Version : Correct size return pump....

Dwb859
10/11/2012, 08:15 PM
I currenlty have a lifequard aquatics quiet one 6000 (1664 gph). When my tank was setup up the company that did it conected my uv and chiller all on this same pump. I was curious as to how much water my tank was actually turning over. I used a pitcher under the drain line and caught 64 oz's of water in 9 seconds, which would give me about 210 gallons per hours. The problem is my sytem has about 130 gallons of water, which doesn't seem like I have a high enough turnover rate. I know the uv company recommends a flow of atleast 400 gph throught the UV. I may be killing too many good things. It seems like I can't find any larger return pumps than the one I have. They are all under 1600 gph. I used the head loss caculator but that gives me a totally different number. I have 10 feet of horizonal hose and 6.5 vertical with (3) 90 degree bends and .75 inch tubing. Any ideas or thoughts on this? The tank seems to be doing well, it just doesn't seem like I'm turning over the tank like I should be.

Dwb859
10/11/2012, 10:58 PM
Now that I account for the 90 degree bends on my chiller, uv, and just the way the tube has to bend around my sump, I get a reading of 300 gph from the Head loss calculator, which is some what close to the actual 210-225 gph I measured with a bucket and a timer. My display has roughly 105 gallons of water, I want to turn that over at least 3-5x an hour right?

tkeracer619
10/11/2012, 11:11 PM
No you are good. You have a large skimmer for your tank. IME I would leave the sump rate on the slower side of things for your setup.