PDA

View Full Version : 12gal setup questions

KLU
10/11/2012, 08:42 PM
I have a few tanks but recently started up a 12gal fluvall edge for my son with about 15ish pounds of LR and crushed coral substrate. I have been running it for about a month now. Initial water, substrate, and LR was from my 72gal setup. After a few water changes and perfect h2o I added a firefish, watchman goby and a small 6 line wrasse along with 4 small frags of zoas and GSP (1"). Until the corals spread out I want to add something to liven up the tank bc it's in my sons room I'm thinking a pair of clowns or something else active to add if possible. Whatcha guys think? Thanks in advance!

thegrun
10/11/2012, 10:01 PM
I don't see the 6 line and two clowns co-existing in such a small tank. I don't know who will win the war, but the battles are going to be ugly. Try a cleaner (skunk) shrimp.

KLU
10/12/2012, 11:45 AM
Any other small fish I could try?

KLU
10/12/2012, 01:11 PM
Maybe a figure8 puffer, dotty back, cowfish or I was thinking getting a couple more (3total) fire fish my son loves them. Any input would be awesome

Zappo
10/12/2012, 01:47 PM
There isn't much that can go in a 12 gallon tank besides firefish and gobies. The puffer and dottyback need 30+ gallon tanks and the cowfish needs a 125+ gallon tank. Remember to choose fish based on their adult size, not their juvenile size.

KLU
10/12/2012, 03:44 PM
Gotcha...thanks zappo

Zappo
10/12/2012, 05:40 PM
Don't let the small size requirements get you down. There's still some really neat looking fish that'll fit in a small tank. Check out the catalina goby - that's one of my favorites.

EDIT: Since I brought it up I guess I should point out that the catalina requires colder temps than most fish/corals so it may or may not be viable. Still a beautiful fish for those who can keep them, though.

KLU
10/12/2012, 08:06 PM
The sizes aren't that big of a deal. I have the other fish I want in my main tank.

Im leaning towards buying 2 mor firefish and leaving it at that. The color on the one I have is unbelievable. I have some zoos and a GSpolyp started so I'm hoping that really takes off