PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Q

Munchdog
10/12/2012, 11:54 AM
So how do you use an ORP probe? I'm not sure I understand what they actually do.

I'm running temp, and PH probes, then using controller for pumps and overall control.

Just saw the PH/Orp plug, and always wondered if I need to monitor ORP?

TIA

kurt_n
10/12/2012, 01:22 PM
Discussion of ORP in aquaria...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.php

Nothing says you need to monitor ORP. Shoot... you don't need to monitor pH if you don't want. If you're not dosing ozone, about the only use for ORP is to use it as a general indicator of overall tank health. The actual number isn't that important, but the general trend of the number is what you should watch. It should be more or less stable, but will rise and fall a little opposite of your rise and fall of pH. If you get a sudden drop in ORP, there is something wrong.

When I had a powerhead's potting lose its seal, at first I saw no visible issues in the tank. But my ORP started dropping. It changed more than normal, so I kept a closer eye on my tank than normal. And within 12 hours, corals started showing distress. It took me an hour or so to track down the issue, and luckily after water changes and polyfilters and cuprisorb I only ended up losing one coral. Got lucky. I'm convinced that if I wasn't monitoring ORP and seen the sudden drop, I wouldn't have been watching the tank as close and not noticed the corals getting stressed out. Probably would've lost much much more. I now have an alarm set for if my ORP drops below a certain level.

Munchdog
10/12/2012, 02:17 PM
Cool, thanks, this definitely helps!