PDA

View Full Version : Biopellet tumbling question.

secrest
10/12/2012, 05:48 PM
Hi and thanks for reading. Last week I decided to switch from vodka to using a biopellet reactor. My question involves the tumbling. I have a converted phosban 150 reactor with the npx pellets using a mj1200. I've noticed that only about 1/2 to 3/4 of the pellets are tumbling. Is this normal? Should I be concerned that one side isn't tumbling or am I ok to just leave it? Thanks.

Plato
10/13/2012, 12:41 PM
The 150 reactor is really too small. I've got the 500 running on a 90 with 1/2 liter of pellets run with a MJ1200. It has more room to tumble. If they don't they clog easier. I run it with out the sponge filters for better flow.

milhous3er
10/13/2012, 12:51 PM
Hi and thanks for reading. Last week I decided to switch from vodka to using a biopellet reactor. My question involves the tumbling. I have a converted phosban 150 reactor with the npx pellets using a mj1200. I've noticed that only about 1/2 to 3/4 of the pellets are tumbling. Is this normal? Should I be concerned that one side isn't tumbling or am I ok to just leave it? Thanks.

I run mine with a TLF 150 as well and have no issues with BPs not tumbling. I have mine ran from my return pump (manifold).

Try shaking it a little to get them to tumble. Like it was said earler, don't use the sponge if you are, it'll restrict flow.

secrest
10/14/2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks, I'll try shaking it up a litle and seeing if that helps out any. I do have the sponges taken off and put on the mesh screens.

Richocet83
10/14/2012, 07:43 PM
I hated my 150 with bio pellets so one day I took it apart.... I removed both the strainer disks (red plastic) and the thin plastic tube the water travels down. I replaced the anemic clear tube with a piece of CPVC that's about double the thickness. It blows water directly on the bottom of the reactor and kicks the pellets everywhere around the bottom 3rd of the reaction chamber (using return pump T'd and restricted). Occasionally I run into a problem with an air bubble getting sucked in and forcing some pellets out the exit hose but this is rare. Cost me $0 to modify since I had the CPVC laying around. Just my 2 cents.

secrest
10/16/2012, 09:42 PM
So if I understand you correctly, you just replaced the clear plastic tube inside the reactor with a piece of 1/2 inch cpvc? I think that might help me with my issue a lot. It looks like the place tube is slightly crooked and mainly pushes water to one side of the reactor.

SneekaPeek
10/17/2012, 01:51 AM
put an o-ring at the bottom of the reactor to seal off water flowing through the sides of the red plate. This will help with flow as well as in power outage instances, the pellets wont siphon back into the sump. Find a local store that carries o-rings and find one that fits. I have had my 150 doing this for 9 months now without having to change anything, great flow and no clogged pellets.