PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a wired APEX

LinkinReef
10/12/2012, 05:49 PM
How can I connect my Apex directly to my laptop without a router? I had it with a wireless router before but I don't have any need for a wireless router at my new place anymore. I'm trying to connect the APEX directly with an ethernet cable but nothing shows up on my laptop with the same address I was using before along with the same port number.

Stolireef
10/12/2012, 05:55 PM
You must run it through a router. You can buy a really cheap four port router (around $20). Plug the Apex into the router using an ethernet cable and plug your laptop into the router using another ethernet cable.

aquamanic
10/12/2012, 06:05 PM
Actually, you can run your Apex directly off a PC but you will lose the ability to send email and access the web. If you still want to do this there's instructions in the User Guide in the chapter on firmware upgrades.

To get the most value from your Apex Stoli is right - go get a router.

Stolireef
10/12/2012, 06:24 PM
Now I've got to look that up. Not that I'd do it, but it sounds interesting. I gather it has something to do with the fact that the Apex is also a server?

LinkinReef
10/19/2012, 10:02 PM
I have a wireless router that I was using at my old apartment. At this current apartment, I have free wireless internet from my landlord's signal so I really can't hook up my wireless router to this internet.

Is there any way to connect my wireless router to my apex and my laptop? I already tried hooking up the apex to the router's main port and then connect it to my laptop using the same address I used to use before being the one on the apex's setting and it doesn't read it.

Am I doing anything wrong with the connections?

RussM
10/19/2012, 11:05 PM
What do you mean by "router's main port"? Do you mean the Internet or WAN port? The Apex and laptop both need to be plugged into the router's LAN ports (often numbered 1-4)

LinkinReef
10/20/2012, 06:17 AM
I think I mean the port that would have the Ethernet cable coming from a modem if it was connected to the Internet. I actually tried connecting both in the LAN ports that you mentioned but it still doesn't seem to work.

letoan
10/20/2012, 06:30 AM
How did you configured your laptop/apex/router?

RussM
10/20/2012, 08:07 AM
Tell us exactly how the Apex and notebook are configured for IP addresses and such.

LinkinReef
10/20/2012, 10:26 AM
the IP address I was using before was 192.168.1.40:100

I already tried switching the port on the apex to a different number and it still wasn't working.

LinkinReef
10/20/2012, 10:42 AM
I finally got it working if I have the apex connected to the router and the laptop wired to the router as well. Now the only thing is that if I disconnect the ethernet cable from the laptop to the router, I can't access the apex via wireless anymore like I used to before.
Would this be because I actually need my router to be wired to a modem first? Like I said, I have just wireless internet from my landlord so no physical connections or any way to connect my router to the internet besides via wireless if there is any way of doing so.

These are the actual numbers on my apex:

dhcp on
ip address : 192.168.1.2
netmask : 255.255.255.0
gateway : 192.168.1.1
host name : apex
dns server : 192.168.1.1
http port : 100

LinkinReef
10/20/2012, 10:44 AM
I'm also assuming that I won't be able to fully use the apex with it's email notifications and all that since my wireless router isn't hooked to the internet at all. Am I right?

woodnaquanut
10/20/2012, 02:08 PM
You might be able to put your router in bridge mode. This would allow it to extend the wireless from the LL. Connect the Apex to the router/bridge and you are good to go.

I'm not a real good network guy so I'll let others explain it in detail.

LinkinReef
10/21/2012, 11:10 PM
That would be great if I can make my router into a bridge. Hopefully someone knows how I could do this.

You might be able to put your router in bridge mode. This would allow it to extend the wireless from the LL. Connect the Apex to the router/bridge and you are good to go.

I'm not a real good network guy so I'll let others explain it in detail.

RussM
10/22/2012, 06:28 AM
What's the model of your router?

You are attempting to access the Apex with the custom port in the URL, like this: http://192.168.1.40:100 , right?

You didn't completely answer my earlier question... how is the laptop configured? Static IP address? (if so, what is it?), or is it set to 'Obtain IP Address Automatically" ?

Is the DHCP Server in the router enabled?