PDA

View Full Version : Leds giving me flash burn

AkumaZeto
10/13/2012, 08:38 PM
Picked up a 120 watt nit from ajmaquatics. The dimmable unit for 180. They look great in lighting my 29 gallon cube. But i am getting flash burn from looking at them for more than a few minutes. Nothing in tank yet but live rock but man its like i was welding without a helmet. There is no optics on the leds so i dont know if putting some on would help or not. Any ideas would be great.

cherubfish pair
10/13/2012, 10:06 PM
Hey Akuma Zeto:

[welcome]

Mmiller40gt
10/14/2012, 12:15 AM
Optics will focus the light down. Either way you should not be looking at them. Even MH will burn your eyes if you look at them.

Btw WELCOME!

zachfishman
10/14/2012, 07:28 AM
Also true for any actinic /blue heavy lighting. Our eyes don't pick up on how bright it really is and can be damaging.

mfinn
10/14/2012, 10:15 AM
That was my problem when I tried a led fixture. Where I sat at my computer, everytime I looked at the tank, I would get a direct shot of the leds.
I made a shield out of some thin (.016) pvc sheeting that was slightly curved.
It did work, but was a little getto.

twilmot
10/14/2012, 01:07 PM
I had the same problem. I had a led over my Biocube, anytime I was sitting in my recliner watching tv I was distracted and blind in about two minutes. Mine was a pendant light, I tilted the light ever so slightly toward the back of the tank (not enough to really make any difference in the tank, just enough to where it was no longer blinding me). Or you could invest in a sweet pair of welding glasses.....

AkumaZeto
10/14/2012, 01:31 PM
lol. I have a auto dimming helmet in the shop :) For now i turned it all the way down and set it on the canopy. Still i hope the optics help some.