PDA

View Full Version : Carbon dosing help

igadget56
10/15/2012, 03:23 AM
I started vinegar dosing on 8/20/12 at 10ml. I am now up to 60ml. Nitrates are down to 0, phosphate is .08. I am going to start GFO tomorrow. I know as you raise the dose you get either a bacteria bloom or snotty bacteria growing somewhere, I have it growing in the fuge. I read somewhere but I can't find it. When you see the bacteria starting to grow you should cut the dose in half and that is what you dose from then on. I also read your dose amount should end up to be about 0.5ml per gl. I have 150gl, so I am dosing 60ml. If my math is correct that should be .04 per gl. I'm not sure what I should do from here. Any advice would be appreciated.
:hmm2:

rbirling
10/15/2012, 06:24 AM
Not sure about the rest of it, but 60 ml/150 gal = 0.4 ml/gal. :)

swcc
10/15/2012, 06:34 AM
I might try to dose less and wait on the GFO for now. Drop it in half is simplistic. In your tank it may be best to drop it to 10% or maybe 70%. Your best bet is to monitor N (and P) and try to bring the dose down to as little as you can to keep N from rising over a week.

gbru316
10/15/2012, 06:44 AM
Vinegar Dosing - Reefkeeping Magazine (http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/116-vinegar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium)

igadget56
10/15/2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks gbru316. I have also read that. Just gives a different
answer to my question

Mavrk
10/15/2012, 04:35 PM
Once your nitrate hits 0, most people cut the dose in half as the starting maintenance dose. I don't know where you read about 0.5 ml per gallon, but from what I have read (and experienced) the numbers are all over the place. The main reason is that people have different bioloads and feed different amounts and types of food.

Some people don't use the test kits as their guide, but use the look of the tank instead. Many of us never get a bloom or see the bacteria in our DT. I did notice the glass had more of a white film rather than green once I hit the dose that ended up bringing my Nitrates to 0. But the bacteria can grow anywhere, so waiting for a bloom or white snot is not the best idea in my book.

FWIW, I got up to 66 ml in my system (125 gallons of actual water), then went to 77 for a couple days and noticed the white on the glass as well as a little extra cyano growth. So I tested and was at 0 Nitrates. So I cut the 66 in half. I might reduce it more if the Nitrates don't creep up. So I guess in my case it was close to the 0.5 ml per gallon as my final dose.

bertoni
10/15/2012, 05:25 PM
I might cut back on the dose, given that you're seeing a microbial bloom in the tank. I wouldn't worry much about the ml/g figures, since every tank is different.

igadget56
10/15/2012, 08:14 PM
I might cut back on the dose, given that you're seeing a microbial bloom in the tank. I wouldn't worry much about the ml/g figures, since every tank is different.

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android