PDA

View Full Version : 65g Stocking list/suggestions

99light
10/15/2012, 03:41 PM
I am trying to research and plan out my stocking choices. Tank is a 65g.

Wish list.

(1) Flame hawk fish
(1) Flame Angelfish
(2) Ocellaris Clown fish
(3) Yellowtail Damsel fish
(1) Green Mandarin Dragon fish
(1) Foxface Lo or One Spot Foxface

I have read the Foxface needs 70g or larger. the One spot is a couple inches smaller then the Foxface Lo, can i get away with either of those in the 65 or do i need to take them off the list.

How am i looking on the total amount of fish? am i pushing the limit on what the tank can handle with small weekly water changes? I would really rather not overstock the tank.

I am still in my researching phase, so am open to all comments/suggestions

Orm Embar
10/15/2012, 06:09 PM
That sounds like a lot of fish for a 65 to me. However, if you were going to ask me how I came to that decision, I wouldn't be able to tell you other than a gut feeling.

For yellow tailed damsels, make sure they're Chrysiptera species, as they are considerably less aggressive than others per my readings. I don't know how they do in groups, however.

Flame hawk would preclude any crustaceans like a cleaner shrimp.

Mandarin - would wait for at least 6 months, get a good refugium established, and make sure that you have a ton of pods. Alternatively, you can grow copepods in jars with phyto. I don't recall if your other fish are copepod eaters - if so, I would think that you'd need to pick the mandarin or the other copepod eater(s) - mandarins aren't very efficient feeders and would lose in any feeding contest.

I'd consider an algae eating blenny instead of the foxface (if you are looking for a grazer). If you want something yellow, how about a Midas blenny?

For authoritative information, I'd look at Scott Michael's books. For an online reference, I'm sorry to say that I don't know of a single, specific saltwater aquarium fish reference guide organized by species. I looked up a few links; hope this helps -

www.advancedaquarist.com
www.fishchannel.com (Aquarium Fish International magazine)
www.marinehabitatmagazine.com
www.tfhmagazine.com (Tropical fish Hobbyist)
www.reefkeeping.com (Reefkeeping online magazine)
www.coralmagazine.com
www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com
www.liveaquaria.com (vendor, but has information on each fish)

Good luck!

kenc87
10/15/2012, 06:40 PM
I have a 65 also and would say that I would feel pretty comfortable with that as a med/ high Bioload with the exception of the damsels. Damsels are just too risky in my opinion and you may really end up regretting it. If you want some small schooling fish get chromis or something else

99light
10/15/2012, 07:50 PM
I was looking to get a variety of colored fish. I read the yellow tailed damsels were less
Aggresive then most others, if they are still problematic I will look into something else
Blue. I understand the mandarin has special requirements, I will
add him last or not add him
At all. I really like the look of the foxface but was concerned about being slightly under the tank
Size for him.