PDA

View Full Version : black saddleback clownfish vs. black saddle clownfish

PHIL39
10/15/2012, 09:35 PM
I was reading the other day that saddleback clownfish mess up anemones and like eat threw them. Is the saddle clown the same way. Or no is it different

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

Gary Majchrzak
10/16/2012, 09:06 AM
I was reading the other day that saddleback clownfish mess up anemones and like eat threw them. Is the saddle clown the same way. Or no is it different

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Androiddifferent common names for the same species: Amphiprion polymnus

xtlosx
10/16/2012, 01:50 PM
I have several bubble tipped anemones with my saddleback, and while she is a bit aggressive, and rolls around the 'nem a lot... she isn't mean to it by any means, and have been paired for over a year now.

velvetelvis
10/16/2012, 03:37 PM
different common names for the same species: Amphiprion polymnus

I've actually seen A. ephippium referred to as "saddle clownfish" before. Usually seems like it's in older references, though...

Gary Majchrzak
10/17/2012, 07:39 AM
I've seen a lot of fish called saddle clowns. Fish that aren't even clownfish.
Proof how useless common names are.

velvetelvis
10/17/2012, 09:42 AM
I've seen a lot of fish called saddle clowns. Fish that aren't even clownfish.
Proof how useless common names are.

Indeed.

Cryophilous
10/17/2012, 11:26 AM
Both names are most likely referring to the same species of fish. Saddlebacks have been known to tear up the mouths of anemones. For whatever reason, some of them like to dig all the way into the mouth of their host anemone, which can potentially cause a lot of damage.

E.intheC
10/17/2012, 11:35 AM
Both names are most likely referring to the same species of fish. Saddlebacks have been known to tear up the mouths of anemones. For whatever reason, some of them like to dig all the way into the mouth of their host anemone, which can potentially cause a lot of damage.

My old pair did this quite regularly. I'm convinced it stressed out my carpets. When the female was not inside the mouth, she was pretty rough generally.

PHIL39
10/18/2012, 12:42 AM
So are,they a bad Clown fish to get if u want anemia

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android