PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Water

Saltwatercoral2
10/15/2012, 11:30 PM
My tank has been setup for a couple months, atleast 3 months. The tank was clear yesterday. Today its cloudy. Nothing has changed in the tank. the phospates according to the Red Sea test kit are, .053, The nitrates were .06. Calcium was 450, Alk- 11, and magnesium was 1320. PH is at 8.2 right now. My nephew decided to run threw the house spraying air freshner yesterday. Could this have cause my tank to cloud up, If so, How can I help clear it up. I have a skimmer, the skimmer has an airline hose connected to it, running to the outside ( I deal with high CO2 in my house), and a refugium with some chaeto in it.

I dont have any media on the tank currently, as I was going to start dosing NO3 PO4x, but had a problem with it in an order from a vendor, so now im stuck waiting for it to arrive.

Ron Reefman
10/16/2012, 05:49 AM
It could very easily have caused a bacteria bloom. A friend had a similar issue when his wife put a plug-in air freshener near the tank. It started leaving an oily residue on the water and killed 2 fish. If it is a bacteria bloom, just keep skimming and add some carbon if you can (reactor or filter bag). It should clear up in a day or two. Good luck and put a leash on your nephew (just kidding... kinda).

GuvNa H2o
10/16/2012, 06:52 AM
Do you have any livestock in your tank? Def use carbon to clear the water up and do water changes. I would also take out the chaeto and wash it in a different tub with freshly made saltwater.

swcc
10/16/2012, 08:36 AM
the air freshener can be the cause... I would put some carbon in the tank to adsorb the chemical, or if the bacteria bloomed because of it, they will die out and the tank will clear in a day or two.
It is interesting what chemicals in the air can do.
You mentioned the airline to the skimmer is outside. Be sure it is filtered with some carbon and poly filter fiber. I actually filter my skimmer intake with this and it is installed inside..cooking/chemicals effect a skimmer causing it to go crazy or loose/decrease production(not to mention how dirty the filter fiber gets from household dust). Unfortunately we cannot filter the air our tank surface interacts with.

bnumair
10/16/2012, 08:40 AM
white milkiness/cloudiness is usually due to bacterial bloom. even if u dont do nothing it will pass away after 3-5 days. but running carbon will help.