PDA

View Full Version : Help with new leaking RO UNIT

Mattdren15
10/16/2012, 07:54 AM
OK so I went and bought the Aquasafe 100 gpd RO/DI unit off Ebay. I put everything together rather easily but when I turned it on, the 4th stage membrane housing started leaking. I've put teflon tape around each thread in the system like I was told. Once it started leaking I double (maybe triple) wrapped the threads but its still leaking rather quick. I wouldn't have a problem since its set up in my sink but I'm getting about 1 gph out of my system.

Also, at what pressure should the waste tube be set at? I've adjusted it and didn't see a lot of difference so I basically shut it off.

Here is a pic of the leak

jenandmikesbow
10/16/2012, 08:02 AM
Check to make sure it wasn't over tightened, Its plastic, it can split easy, also look at the threads make sure the are not screwed up. Hope that works for you, good luck

Mattdren15
10/16/2012, 08:07 AM
I think its missing a ring on the outside of it. I looked at other models and see a ring on the threading. I'll call the manufacturer and ask if there is ring that goes on it. Does anybody else have this model? Any tips on getting it to work properly?

jenandmikesbow
10/16/2012, 08:12 AM
If its a rubber ring you can go to lowes and pick one up I'm the plumbing dept. if the rubber goes on the male treads, take the fitting with you and see which one fits. Good luck with getting the leak fixed

Buckeye Hydro
10/19/2012, 05:03 AM
Can't tell from your pic where the leak is. Is the CAP of the RO membrane housing leaking? If so - that seal is not made at the threads on the cap - remove any teflon tape you added there. There should be 1 or 2 rubber orings INSIDE the cap - that's what makes the seal. If you are missing the oring(s), it will leak. You're unlikely to find a replacement oring the right size/shape. A replacement RO membrane housing is only $10.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro
10/19/2012, 05:07 AM
Also, at what pressure should the waste tube be set at? I've adjusted it and didn't see a lot of difference so I basically shut it off.

Hmm. Pressure in the waste water tube is not something you typically measure or are concerned with, or adjust. If you shut off the waste water flow you will in short order ruin your membrane. What people often call waste water is better thought of as flush water. It's this water that washes away from the membrane all the "crud" the membrane doesn't allow to pass. You want 4 times the amount of waste water as purified water.

Russ