PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead Question

Figstr
10/16/2012, 08:30 AM
Hey everyone. I've been a member for a long time but because of life circumstances I've been out of the hobby for a few years. Now that I'm back, I see there have been some nice advancements.

I'm currently cycling my 54 Gal corner (just started cycling a couple days ago) and have 1 MaxiJet 1200 right now that is cirulating inside besides a skimmer and Eheim filter. The MaxiJet was originally one of a few in my 65 reef that is currently waiting to be set back up. The powerhead is a bit too much for the corner tank as it's moving the substrate around and creating dips, hills, etc..

I'm thinking of going with a couple 800gph power heads to minimize sand movement. Would this be a good way to go, or are there other avenues I should take?

I should mention that this will remain a FOWLR tank.

Figstr
10/17/2012, 10:07 AM
Wow, 2 days later, 33 views and not one response. This used to be a friendly forum. CYA!!!

Craig Borowski
10/17/2012, 11:39 AM
It sounds like the tank hasn't been set up for very long, so the first thing I'd do would be to wait a few weeks. New sand in a new tank is much more susceptible to getting moved around by the flow. After bacteria have had a chance to colonize the surface of the sandbed, you'll find it stays in place much better.

If it's still getting moved around after a month or so, you could try aiming your existing powerhead up towards the water surface. If you decide to replace it then you might consider some powerheads that are designed to make a wider, gentler stream of flow. A pair of our Nanostream 6025 or 6045 would work very well in a FOWLR of that size.