PDA

View Full Version : Shipping in Cold Weather

RedJag
10/16/2012, 11:38 AM
Hi Folks,

I am slowly acquiring the equipment to start a 50G cube. This will be my first reef since the 80's.

I plan to purchase my liverock from Tampa Bay Saltwater and was wondering if shipping is a problem during the winter here in the Northeast. I am in Rhode Island. Since I would meet the plane at the airport perhaps it is workable.

Do you recommend shipping only during certain times of the year based on temperatures?

Gary

liverock
10/16/2012, 04:54 PM
Hi Folks,

I am slowly acquiring the equipment to start a 50G cube. This will be my first reef since the 80's.

I plan to purchase my liverock from Tampa Bay Saltwater and was wondering if shipping is a problem during the winter here in the Northeast. I am in Rhode Island. Since I would meet the plane at the airport perhaps it is workable.

Do you recommend shipping only during certain times of the year based on temperatures?

Gary

Never an issue, is why we use air freight...as in your case..to PVD..aka Providence RI. I ..would pack it in the morning..ship it from Tampa....and you would be home with it in your tank by 4pm..in Rhode Island.....is amazingly fast and efficient.

And when I was shipping overseas.....South Africa was the hardest destination, but managed to ship live rock, packed underwater all the way to them successfully......sometimes 4 days in transit....

I pack the rock in insulated, styro containers with cardboard boxes... with over 40 mills of plastic bags inside holding the rock and water... that is five bags, 8 mills each...I have the specially made so the rock is happy when being shipped... full of saltwater and pure o2...is bullet proof ...usually lol....

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com :rollface::rollface::rollface:

RedJag
10/17/2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the reply, Richard!

Sounds good!!

Any idea on the ballpark price for shipping "the package" for a 50 gallon cube?

Gary

liverock
10/17/2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the reply, Richard!

Sounds good!!

Any idea on the ballpark price for shipping "the package" for a 50 gallon cube?

Gary

Typically the weight of Part one of the package will be three times the size of the Package..IE: 50 gallon Package, about 150#...part two less because there is no sand weight!

sea ya
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com :D:D:D