PDA

View Full Version : Most common hitchhiker species?

Fretfreak13
10/16/2012, 08:07 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondering, what are the most common hitch hikers that come in on Florida live rock? We've got a cute little guy at the store I work at and he's probably going to wind up coming home with me (my co-worker wanted to step on him!). I have no way of taking a picture of him though, he's only about two inches long (he smacked me, it was soooo adorable!) and any camera I have just makes him look like a big blob.

Right now he's in a Kritter Keeper inside one of the other tanks. I told them if they can't sell him in a month I'll take him, but I soooo don't need another tank.

His whole body is light gray but when the light hits him a certain way he's pink. His telson is highlighter green. Meral spots are yellow. Smasher. Has darker "freckles" all over his body.

Sorry about the no pictures. =( I know how annoying that is.

Fartin'Gary
10/16/2012, 08:14 PM
There are some on here with pics but I think you would have to call for ID's

http://tbsaltwater.com/thepackage/organisms.html

ynotynot123
10/16/2012, 08:22 PM
On my order last week from Tampa Bay Saltwater, I got a Wenerrae as a hitchhiker. Though I think there are some other species that come from farther south in the keys. I set up a tank for it. I really like the little guy/gal, but it hasn't been very active as yet. Just set up a little tank for it the other day.

Fretfreak13
10/16/2012, 08:39 PM
I don't think its a wennerae. I've never seen a pink one. o.O

Maybe N. oerstedii? Maybe...gah I've never seen one like this. I used to have a G. chigara so he wont be my first mantis, but I'm by no means Dr. Roy lol I just got a micro reefs tank for my nano reef...now I'm gonna set up a macro tank for this guy. lol I'm giving myself a 200 dollar allowance on it. >.>'

TundraGuy
10/17/2012, 06:02 AM
Sounds like a great Idea. Anyway you could patch this “macro” tank into your nano I am sure having it as a fuge with a mantis will benefit both tanks?

Fretfreak13
10/17/2012, 12:00 PM
I'm sure it would haha. Can't think of how I'd do it though. I'm not a very good DIYer. Plus, it would give me an excuse to take the mantis with me to college too. Maybe I'll buy another aqua-lifter pump or something and run them both like a loop to move water back and fourth between the tanks.

Gonodactylus
10/17/2012, 05:41 PM
I can't think of any Neogonodactylus from the Caribbean that has a yellow meral spot.

In order of commonest as hitch-hikers from the Keys:

N. wennerae
N. oerstedii
N. curacaoensis
N. torus
N. austrinus

I have never seen as a hitch-hiker N. minutus, N. lacunatus or N. spinulosus.

Roy

Fretfreak13
10/19/2012, 10:57 AM
N. Curacaoensis matches the best (especially the third pic on google), but I don't think my little guy has dark rapts. I'll see him again tomorrow if they didn't miraculously sell him.

Maybe I'm confused about what the meral spot is? I thought it was the feathery looking appendage near their eyes.

Anyways, from reading your list Dr. Caldwell, if that is what he is it seems hes about full grown. Hes so teeny!

Fretfreak13
10/20/2012, 07:17 PM
Well, he was stolen away by one of my co-workers who didn't know I wanted him. the guy already has a few different mantis' at his house and probably no tank for this little guy specifically (hes probably in a sump) so if I non-nonchalantly mention I wanted him he might bring him back for me lol