PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of SeaChems assorted filtration products

KCombs
10/17/2012, 05:28 AM
I generally trust Seachem's stuff...but their vast array of filtration product offerings has me wondering if there is some functionality overlap between them or performance gaps amongst them

(one wonders why so many different products are offered to perform a general short list of demands for maintaining clean sea water)

Basically the poll is to see which of their chemical media products you use (or not) and why (chemical media products only, not to inclue "Prime" et)

me? : Was using thier phosphate remover but no longer...
Now I use just Purigen (on my last batch of Renew)

downbeach
10/17/2012, 05:54 AM
The only items I see that I might use in my system on a regular basis would be the GAC and PO4 absorbent.
I won't use the Phosguard because it uses aluminum instead of a GFO, and may be detrimental to home aquaria:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php#16

I'm sure the Matrix carbon is a fine product, but you can buy the ROX 0.8 for about half the cost, and may actually be a better product. So, that's as much an economic reason.

j tavares
10/17/2012, 05:58 AM
ImO seachem has always produced good quality products at a fair price and do not push snake oil supplements like lots of others do JUST DO A WATER CHANGE FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!

KCombs
10/17/2012, 06:49 AM
I guess my questions lie with the choice beteen renew, carbon(s), and Purigen....

Since Purigen is supposedly renewable but oddly "Renew" isn't , I'm wondering what I'm loosing by picking/sticking with the rechargable product since its going to be vastly cheaper in the long run...?

(goofy choice of names no?: Purigen is renewable, but "Renew" isn't))

bertoni
10/17/2012, 01:32 PM
I've used the Matrix Carbon in the past, and it seems fine. Purigen can be useful in some systems, and Cuprisorb is great when there's a copper problem. I agree with avoiding the PhosGuard.