PDA

View Full Version : Starfire glass

dtum
10/17/2012, 04:53 PM
I got some pictures of the tank that I've ordered. This tank has got 3 sides starfire glass, but looking at these photos I am a little underwhelmed: I was expecting a much clearer glass, but these look somewhat plain to me.

Am I missing something here?

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z464/tumanov/Winterfell%20Reef/dmitrycopy.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z464/tumanov/Winterfell%20Reef/dmitry2copy.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z464/tumanov/Winterfell%20Reef/dmitry3copy.jpg

Richard Reefer
10/17/2012, 05:00 PM
It looks good to me, it's one of those cases where pictures won't really do it justice, seeing it in person it will look much better. Also putting it side by side with a standard glass tank will give you a much different perspective.

426Hemi
10/17/2012, 05:02 PM
Star fire glass has less iron so it doesn't have the green tint that normal glass has. Your pictures show no green, so you should be happy. Don't worry that they don't look clear enough, I assure you they are clear as can be. That is something that doesn't always show up well in pics when the tank is empty.

cakemanPA
10/17/2012, 05:05 PM
Clear glass is kind of plain by itself. What were you expecting? Looks great to me. Will be awesome with water, fish, and coral though.

MalHavoc
10/17/2012, 05:06 PM
That first photo tells the tale. Regular glass would have a heavy green edge. In some of those pictures there are tanks next to tanks and you can see through several panes at once. That's pretty spectacular, in my opinion.

AliciaP
10/17/2012, 05:09 PM
May have a dust over it too? Looks good to me since I don't see all the green on the top rim that you would normally see.

Spar
10/17/2012, 05:17 PM
Once water is in it you will be able to tell the benefits. I have a tank with the front starphire and back regular (viewable from both back and front), and when looking from the front for a while and then moving to the back of the tank, it takes a while for my eyes to adjust to the green tint.

Agreed with the other posts, the glass looks great IMO. When my tank got delivered it was very green.... ended up not being Starphire!! back to the builder it went :)

BIG_KAHUNA
10/17/2012, 05:24 PM
only three sides are starfire? I see four without green rims?

dtum
10/17/2012, 05:35 PM
only three sides are starfire? I see four without green rims?

Yeah, I have no idea why that is. :) Should only be 3

dtum
10/20/2012, 07:31 AM
I think I know why I got confused - it is all that black silicone. A few starfire tanks that I've owned and seen had clear silicone and very little of it, think Amano style. So I was expecting the edges to be that bright blue colour.

Gary Majchrzak
10/20/2012, 07:44 AM
what size is it?

starfire is more apparent in larger aquariums than smaller ones.

bezlar
10/20/2012, 08:50 AM
Starfire glass still has some green tint on edges just not as much as reg glass. I thought mine was not starfire but after research mine indeed was starfire. Mine replaced an acrylic tank and when the dust settled from the swap it was simply amazing. I think it looks clearer than my old acrylic. Your tank tank looks great and miracles has a very good reputation. I got a quote from them on my new tank but the shipping was so much more I had to find closer builder.

cham
10/20/2012, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I have no idea why that is. :) Should only be 3

That's because the black on the rear panel isn't allowing light into the glass to highlight the color.

My tank is 3 sided starfire and I couldn't be happier.

Hyro
10/20/2012, 08:58 AM
That first photo tells the tale. Regular glass would have a heavy green edge. In some of those pictures there are tanks next to tanks and you can see through several panes at once. That's pretty spectacular, in my opinion.

+1 you would see the green. I actually had a guy try and tell me his tank was star when it had the green edge. There are purples trying to pull it so its good to be skeptical

rldcpa
10/20/2012, 09:33 AM
Looks great to me. Its very clear and you are getting blue tint instead of green on the edges. I visited a tank maker to see the difference and after that visit, I would suggest the better glass with tanks of 1/2" thickness or greater.

tylersarah
10/20/2012, 10:10 AM
I think it looks wonderful, how much did it cost?

rldcpa
10/21/2012, 08:04 AM
Miracles tanks look nice and clear and this one is rimless. Miracles are expensive but you get what you pay for, as usual.

beachbreak
10/21/2012, 08:13 AM
In your pics, look at the wood table through the side and bottom. Sides are definitely clearer.

Most people request black silicon so you can't see coraline buildup from the outside.