PDA

View Full Version : Moving to new tanks

rossco838
10/17/2012, 09:53 PM
I currently have 2 tanks running at my parents and I bought 2 new upgrades in my new house. A 37 going into a 65 and a 90 going to a 220. The 37 is running with about 40 lbs of live rock and a canister filter with live rock rubble and carbon. Would I be safe to move it to the new tanks without experiencing a cycle if I kept the live rock submerged while moving and hooking up the canister filter temporarily? Idealy I want to eliminate the canister filter on this tank once tank is running. The current 90 gallon is running with about 100 lbs of rock and bio balls in the sump. Basically the same question if I move it and take the bio balls will I experience any sort of cycle. Bio balls will also eventually be removed (huge nitrate trap), I will also be adding some live rock that was removed from another system and left to dry out

Sent from my galaxy S3 using my fingers

denny crain
10/18/2012, 12:06 AM
I recently moved tanks. I had a very small mini cycle that only lasted a week tops. I do think you will have a bigger worry about adding more live rock and sand to fill the tanks up causing a cycle. I moved mine to the same size tank, just one that was drilled. You will need to keep everything submerged as much as you can. If I were you now would be a good time to loose the bioballs while everything is in shock anyway.
What are you wanting to do with the new tank? I would run both tanks with a sump and good skimmers. The run gfo instead of the bioballs.

rossco838
10/18/2012, 12:25 AM
Yes both new tanks have sumps. The 220 has a 90 gallon sump with a bm220-cs and the 65 has a 30 gallon sump with a new bubble magus curve 5 on order. Both will be running filter socks and a refugium as well as gfo in a reactor. 220 has a reeflo dart running at full power and the 65 has a mag 9 running full out as well.

maroun.c
10/18/2012, 06:52 AM
Can you cure the rocks before adding it as you never know what it could have in it.

rossco838
10/18/2012, 01:44 PM
I could cure the rocks before moving the tanks yes I'm lucky in the way I don't have to move the fish until I know everything is perfect