PDA

View Full Version : Narcosis, who got her??

humaguy
10/18/2012, 05:07 PM
Wow...she went quick...so...who got her??

Wayne? Copps?

Great looking fish....

Best of luck!!

evolved
10/18/2012, 05:25 PM
Guessing Copps on this one

SDguy
10/18/2012, 05:46 PM
Congrats to the new owner! A beauty for sure.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=207974&stc=1&d=1350604657

MikeandNicole
10/18/2012, 05:54 PM
Edited:

Wow that is a really nice angel.

bullitr
10/18/2012, 06:32 PM
^ price above!

I am not the only one that thinks Wayne pick the angel up! Lol

If its John ( copps ) it have to be a pair.

humaguy
10/18/2012, 06:54 PM
not sure it would have made it to dd if copps wanted it...
thinkin wayne... and if so, would love to see pics of her next to his interruptus...
but really want to see pics regardless of who got her....
a steal of a price too,lol...the others that were caught with this one sold for 18k overseas...

bullitr
10/18/2012, 08:20 PM
Wayne says no because he his interaptus is doing well.

humaguy
10/18/2012, 08:45 PM
hmmm...copps?

auem
10/18/2012, 09:13 PM
not sure it would have made it to dd if copps wanted it...
thinkin wayne... and if so, would love to see pics of her next to his interruptus...
but really want to see pics regardless of who got her....
a steal of a price too,lol...the others that were caught with this one sold for 18k overseas...

nope...this was caught by different people than those sold in Japan few months back......

bullitr
10/18/2012, 09:50 PM
Did u get it copps?

humaguy
10/19/2012, 04:40 AM
thought Richard got them?
then Koji and dd got this one from Koji...?

auem
10/19/2012, 06:26 AM
thought Richard got them?
then Koji and dd got this one from Koji...?

then you missed those news....

all those made into japan(one was gifted to waikkiki aquarium) are caught by rufus kimura and his friends,somewhere near tahiti....there was a thread here if you search..

this one was caught at cook island..by a so called 'outpost' of Quality Marine...

copps
10/19/2012, 07:57 AM
Hey guys, I did not get this fish... although I know who did. At MACNA I let Kevin know of an interested serious buyer, and it worked out... We had this discussion at the banquet, just before Kevin received the highest honor in this industry... one given to just one person each year... Kevin Kohen was very deserving. Everyone has nothing but great things to say about Live Aquaria, but few people realize that Kevin is the driving force and brains behind this success... I know a lot of people in this industry... some I respect much and some less... Kevin is right at the top of the list... and on top of that a genuinely nice person... he deserves some serious props!!!:beer:

As I said in another thread this fish was sold in the states for a relative bargain... me, Koji, and Kevin were sitting and talking at MACNA when Kevin nearly fell off of his chair after finding out what Koji sold two narcosis for... 18K a piece. These specimens were indeed collected in "French Polynesia" by Rufus Kimura. While they were only recently officially documented there it's been known for some time... I was at the Bishop Museum in Hawaii in 2007 when Rich Pyle showed me an email and photo taken by a rebreather diver in Rangiroa (not to be confused with Rarotonga... far away!) at something like 300 or 400 feet asking about a fish... it was Centropyge narcosis!!!

The specimen the DD got was collected at Rarotonga this past July in the Cooks by the same ichthyologist on the same reef as the holotype specimen... 23 years later!! Rich Pyle was at Rarotonga on a joint project between the University of Hawaii and Bishop Museum to survey the deep reefs in more detail than they had previously... the narcosis he collected and gave to Chip at his station there... Chip then sent it to Quality Marine and then it ended up at the DD... no surprise there!

Here's a video their group took... the first ever to show Centropyge boylei and C. narcosis in their natural habitat together... :)

http://youtu.be/Rqa2lZ6iiZM

Copps

alton
10/19/2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks for posting the video, and the information.

Poomba
10/19/2012, 11:16 AM
Copps Im being dead serious, If someone should edited your posts, or used all the knowledge in them, it would be the best book on angelfish ever.

humaguy
10/19/2012, 11:50 AM
Hey guys, I did not get this fish... although I know who did. At MACNA I let Kevin know of an interested serious buyer, and it worked out... We had this discussion at the banquet, just before Kevin received the highest honor in this industry... one given to just one person each year... Kevin Kohen was very deserving. Everyone has nothing but great things to say about Live Aquaria, but few people realize that Kevin is the driving force and brains behind this success... I know a lot of people in this industry... some I respect much and some less... Kevin is right at the top of the list... and on top of that a genuinely nice person... he deserves some serious props!!!:beer:

As I said in another thread this fish was sold in the states for a relative bargain... me, Koji, and Kevin were sitting and talking at MACNA when Kevin nearly fell off of his chair after finding out what Koji sold two narcosis for... 18K a piece. These specimens were indeed collected in "French Polynesia" by Rufus Kimura. While they were only recently officially documented there it's been known for some time... I was at the Bishop Museum in Hawaii in 2007 when Rich Pyle showed me an email and photo taken by a rebreather diver in Rangiroa (not to be confused with Rarotonga... far away!) at something like 300 or 400 feet asking about a fish... it was Centropyge narcosis!!!

The specimen the DD got was collected at Rarotonga this past July in the Cooks by the same ichthyologist on the same reef as the holotype specimen... 23 years later!! Rich Pyle was at Rarotonga on a joint project between the University of Hawaii and Bishop Museum to survey the deep reefs in more detail than they had previously... the narcosis he collected and gave to Chip at his station there... Chip then sent it to Quality Marine and then it ended up at the DD... no surprise there!

Here's a video their group took... the first ever to show Centropyge boylei and C. narcosis in their natural habitat together... :)

http://youtu.be/Rqa2lZ6iiZM

Copps

Thanks Copps...

That award will be yours too!

You are invaluable to all of us...the depth of your knowledge is awe-inspiring, and your willingness to share is beyond generous...thanks for that...

TK

WayneL333
10/19/2012, 12:01 PM
Wow John, thank you for the background story. Man seeing the two of those angels in a video together is like seeing an Aston Martin and Ferrari parked side by side at a dealership. Which one would you buy?!?

copps
10/19/2012, 12:55 PM
Well thanks guys! :rollface:

Copps Im being dead serious, If someone should edited your posts, or used all the knowledge in them, it would be the best book on angelfish ever.

I've already planned this book... it won't be written until my four and seven year old are off to college... and will be a few hundred pages of the stories behind every species and my own personal experiences... it will cost a few hundred bucks and will sell worldwide maybe 100 copies after I dump a bunch of money in to publish it... but man will that be a sweet read for us nuts!:thumbsup:

Anyway, I've had the pleasure of owning a spawning pair of the Narc's closest known relative Centropyge colini... I just checked the dates... I got this pair in 2006!!! This is the pair originally collected in Fiji that Frank Baensch spawned so many years ago... I need to get updated photos of them... but here they are...

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/colini_pair-1.jpg

They still spawn nightly... after all of these years... :)

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/180_colini_pair_spawning.jpg

Such a unique species... acts just like the Narc in the video... so maybe not so unique after all!

Copps

ziyaadb
10/19/2012, 01:12 PM
copps make sure a couple copies of that book get sent to south africa please...
thanks for the story behind the narcosis

copps
10/19/2012, 01:20 PM
copps make sure a couple copies of that book get sent to south africa please...
thanks for the story behind the narcosis

Booya... 102 copies! :D

Better yet, get an IMACSA going for next year and I'll tell them in person to you guys! I need to get some in water experience with the true "King" angelfish...:fun4:

Poomba
10/19/2012, 02:08 PM
Copps, it will sell far more than one hundred copies.
But seriously though Copps, all you need is an editor to compile your stories! And then maybe get Rufus Kimura and Koji Wada and Frank Baensch and drs. randall and pyle to contribute their own stories.
Call it "Anthology of Angelfish"

I feel like now that I posted it someone else is going to do it :)

Ambition
10/19/2012, 02:31 PM
I feel like now that I posted it someone else is going to do it :)

Already got the first few angels done. ;)

Copps, you are the man to go to when it comes to Pomacanthidae. Slowly working my way into that crazy addiction to them, and when it bites, it seems to bite hard! Reading through your experiences helps me, as well as many others keep these fish successfully. I can't do anything but thank you... well, I guess I could ask more questions, then thank you again. :)

With the price of this "bargain prices" narcosis, I would have to have a one year warning to save up for it. :lol:

Poomba
10/19/2012, 02:43 PM
Already got the first few angels done. ;)

Copps, you are the man to go to when it comes to Pomacanthidae. Slowly working my way into that crazy addiction to them, and when it bites, it seems to bite hard! Reading through your experiences helps me, as well as many others keep these fish successfully. I can't do anything but thank you... well, I guess I could ask more questions, then thank you again. :)

With the price of this "bargain prices" narcosis, I would have to have a one year warning to save up for it. :lol:

Hahaha serious? Because I honestly have a great idea for the format and content, and it would make an awesome communal project that we could fund on kickstarter to get it published. And then roll any profits back to aquarium as grants for Angelfish projects :)

Ambition
10/19/2012, 03:01 PM
Hahaha serious? Because I honestly have a great idea for the format and content, and it would make an awesome communal project that we could fund on kickstarter to get it published. And then roll any profits back to aquarium as grants for Angelfish projects :)

No, just getting into angels now. Copp's book should be great!

MrTuskfish
10/19/2012, 04:41 PM
Hey guys, I did not get this fish... although I know who did. At MACNA I let Kevin know of an interested serious buyer, and it worked out... We had this discussion at the banquet, just before Kevin received the highest honor in this industry... one given to just one person each year... Kevin Kohen was very deserving. Everyone has nothing but great things to say about Live Aquaria, but few people realize that Kevin is the driving force and brains behind this success... I know a lot of people in this industry... some I respect much and some less... Kevin is right at the top of the list... and on top of that a genuinely nice person... he deserves some serious props!!!:beer:Copps

I couldn't agree more. As the "good" LFS slowly bows to the financial impossibility of their businesses; Kevin and the Drs. F&S have really made sure we all have access to incredible creatures and equipment.

I think Kevin has had a positive effect on the whole industry and he's been fortunate enough to have a couple of bosses who follow his advice and give him plenty of rope. I spent much of my life in N. Wisconsin and have watched the F&S Companies grow from a 3 vet small town practice (30+ years ago) to what they are today. My Springer Spaniel never forgave Marty for "fixing" him (circa 1980). I still remember Marty suggesting I give the dog one last night on the town in LdF, known for its dog population roaming the streets. Living 1000 miles away now, I am amazed at what Drs. Race and Marty (and Kevin & crew) have created.

The beer icon, about all I remember from my undergrad years reminded, me of an old Frat. Brother who teaches in a well known MBA program. He uses the F&S companies as model of the near perfect business plan. Wonderful people and great supporters of our hobby.

humaguy
10/19/2012, 05:25 PM
Copps, There is no way we can wait 10 years for that book...lol...

jlanger
10/19/2012, 05:57 PM

Copps

I couldn't agree more. As the "good" LFS slowly bows to the financial impossibility of their businesses; Kevin and the Drs. F&S have really made sure we all have access to incredible creatures and equipment.

I think Kevin has had a positive effect on the whole industry and he's been fortunate enough to have a couple of bosses who follow his advice and give him plenty of rope.

I have to jump in and agree with you guys about the hard work and dedication that Kevin puts into this hobby.
I've meet Kevin a handful of times at the DFS AC&MLF Open House Tours and we have exchanged a number of e-mails.
He's always responded to every e-mail when he's able; even apologizes if it took him a few days. Even responded to just a simple "Congrats on the Award!"
Just a real class act.
My 12 year-old son thinks of Kevin as a celebrity and has decided to go into Marine Biology when he goes off to school.

So was this the C. narcosis that Kevin had in his office tank?
Who ever bought it did get a deal as Kevin was planning on selling it for $6K in August.
If so, I'm glad I got to see it in person. Great looking fish.
Just wish I took a picture of it before we left.

-JASON

humaguy
10/19/2012, 06:48 PM
So agree with all...Kevin has taken the care and quality of marine livestock to a whole new level...dd, is THE place...I know all of us check our mail for the sneak peeks religiously and make sure we are near a comp at 6:00pm for the updates...Kevin returns emails and takes time to answer all questions with such detail and caring it is amazing...he has helped me get some beautiful fish and the few times I have spoken with him or Chris I felt like I had reached the "inner sanctum" of the hobby and was almost speechless...I was a total fanboy...lol...we have all met various people we "idolize" whether it be athelets or muscians...but I was never so nervous as when I called Kevin the first time to discuss Rhinecanthus Cinereus..my girlfriend still laughs at me...anyway, cheers kevin and thanks...and I can't wait to see Copps get his...you guys are cooler than Ruth, Seaver, and Nameth...

rachenbrazil
10/19/2012, 07:06 PM
Wow! Must sign my copy to Brazil .

DFS
10/20/2012, 09:39 AM
I do not want to derail this thread but wanted to say that I sincerely appreciate everyone's support and kind words.

I am very thankful to be recognized, and truly humbled to be presented with this years prestigious MASNA award.

Kindest Regards,
Kevin Kohen

michael_cb_125
10/20/2012, 10:16 AM
You set the standard, and there are many that wish to follow.
I really appreciate what you do for this hobby.

Congrats on the award, you deserve it, no doubt!

~Michael

MrTuskfish
10/20/2012, 04:41 PM
[/QUOTE]...and I can't wait to see Copps get his...you guys are cooler than Ruth, Seaver, and Nameth...[/QUOTE]

Maybe, I guess those guys are N.Y. heroes. But please don't try to compare Kevin with Aaron Rogers, Brett Favre, Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke etc. That's heresy!.

humaguy
10/20/2012, 04:47 PM
...and I can't wait to see Copps get his...you guys are cooler than Ruth, Seaver, and Nameth...[/QUOTE]

Maybe, I guess those guys are N.Y. heroes. But please don't try to compare Kevin with Aaron Rogers, Brett Favre, Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke etc. That's heresy!.[/QUOTE]

haha...laughed out loud...

How about Mick, Eric, and Jerry...?

mikegonzo
10/20/2012, 07:38 PM
wayne...send me ur email and i'll send u a picture of my 458 and v12 zagato in my garage...

humaguy
10/20/2012, 07:57 PM
wayne...send me ur email and i'll send u a picture of my 458 and v12 zagato in my garage...

dude, post in here...how is the zag? had an 07 Viper Copperhead and sold when I moved to Ct fulltime...but now looking at the 013 Vip...and considering stuffing a Hemi in my 010 Rubicon...Kevin can talk about his Porsche beast and then right back to fish...lol, only a slight detour...

glassbox-design
10/21/2012, 03:28 PM
...when Kevin nearly fell off of his chair after finding out what Koji sold two narcosis for... 18K a piece.

See John...I'm around. No surprise who took those off of Koji!

And congrats Kevin :thumbsup:

speak soon,
E

mikegonzo
11/21/2012, 05:36 PM
fwiw...1) i got the narcosis and he is housed in a cool water 350g tank with other rarities 2) im a fish collector of 32 years (since 6 years old) and rare fish collector of 20 3) serious props to kevin at dd - solid fish, well acclimated, etc. 4) koji wada-a friend and supplier for 12+ years, not Copps, put kevin in touch with me 5) fish eats brine, mysid, bloodworms, nori, cyclop eeze, angel formula and pellet food (Marine-S) 6) in the coming months, i will b launching a rare fish website...dedicated to the knowledge and husbandry of rare angels..and the occasional bfly, tang or trigger...stay tuned 7) don't believe everything u read about ridiculous #s fish sell for 8) lastly serious props to kevin again at dd...great fish, great job..now get me another...

humaguy
11/21/2012, 07:21 PM
fwiw...1) i got the narcosis and he is housed in a cool water 350g tank with other rarities 2) im a fish collector of 32 years (since 6 years old) and rare fish collector of 20 3) serious props to kevin at dd - solid fish, well acclimated, etc. 4) koji wada-a friend and supplier for 12+ years, not Copps, put kevin in touch with me 5) fish eats brine, mysid, bloodworms, nori, cyclop eeze, angel formula and pellet food (Marine-S) 6) in the coming months, i will b launching a rare fish website...dedicated to the knowledge and husbandry of rare angels..and the occasional bfly, tang or trigger...stay tuned 7) don't believe everything u read about ridiculous #s fish sell for 8) lastly serious props to kevin again at dd...great fish, great job..now get me another...

good to know she went to a great home...what other rarities is she with? any tips on keeping interruptus happy?

bullitr
11/21/2012, 10:21 PM
Rare fish as in Hawaiian masked and peppermint angelfish rare?

mikegonzo
11/22/2012, 07:13 AM
good to know she went to a great home...what other rarities is she with? any tips on keeping interruptus happy?
interrupta happy...it all depends on fish size..~<2.5" and ~>2.5" (although many now like to refer to a different separation..."wild caught" and RCT fish...RCT fish r but a blip in the captive history of this fish). late fall these fish become available...why - water temp and depth for collectors...for every small <2.5" fish...there r 6+ of the bruiser 4+" fish....nothing beats the coloration of interrupta (rct fish paled (literally) in comparison to "wild caught" fish). if fish is <2.5"...thermal stress is the key, but seem to have a higher tolerance 72-75 should b fine, adapt well to captive fare and r aggressive...the bigger fish, i'm sorry to say have bleak survival records. i beat my head for so many years, every year bringing in the 4+" fish to no avail...they simply break down and it's not a pretty sight (like any large angel). why...thermal stress and what i believe is a natural habit these fish exhibit in the wild...coprophagy (eating of fish feces)...these fish do not tolerate temps >~73..it's impossible ensuring this thermal regulation in the supply chain leading up to the hobbiest and the insult with which these fish r handled is alarming. thermal stress of these fish leads to cyrpt and oodinium. additionally, i have found large interrupta to break down due to sporazoans...large white spots that begin to manifest themselves on the head and then lateral line and body of the fish...initially confused with crypt and then as they enlarge lymph...but on close examination (as the spores grow)..lymph is "fluffier" looking, while sporazoans are "pussier" looking...i have no proof and it is simply a guy's, who has spent too much time, energy and $, opinion but i have seen disproportionate occurrence of sporazoan infections in interrupta and africanus than i have in other fish i've kept (primarily angels). i have observed both fish a fare amount in the wild and both eat "recycled" food as a significant portion of their diet...i'm convinced there's a link to the diet, thermal stress they experience leading to the hobbiest and why they break out with glugea infections...i apologize for my stupidly long answer

SDguy
11/22/2012, 07:15 AM
in the coming months, i will b launching a rare fish website...dedicated to the knowledge and husbandry of rare angels..and the occasional bfly, tang or trigger...stay tuned

Very cool, looking forward to it!

meanpressure
11/22/2012, 07:53 AM
Very cool, looking forward to it!

me too.

SDguy
11/22/2012, 08:04 AM
additionally, i have found large interrupta to break down due to sporazoans...large white spots that begin to manifest themselves on the head and then lateral line and body of the fish...initially confused with crypt and then as they enlarge lymph...but on close examination (as the spores grow)..lymph is "fluffier" looking, while sporazoans are "pussier" looking...i have no proof and it is simply a guy's, who has spent too much time, energy and $, opinion but i have seen disproportionate occurrence of sporazoan infections in interrupta and africanus than i have in other fish I've kept (primarily angels).

Thank you for giving me a clue about this!!! I have lost a couple angels to this, and had no idea what it was... is it treatable?

mikegonzo
11/22/2012, 10:21 AM
i've never found a treatment for sporazoans..

Yurivd
11/22/2012, 12:59 PM
So what other rare fish have you got?

copps
12/02/2012, 10:09 AM
4) koji wada-a friend and supplier for 12+ years, not Copps, put kevin in touch with me ...

FYI years ago I introduced Koji to Kevin... this year at MACNA Koji mentioned his visit to you... I told Koji about the narcosis Kevin had and how you might be interested... Koji emailed you and when you responded I passed on the good news to Kevin, minutes before his well deserved honor of MASNA Aquarist of the Year Award was announced...

I'm with Koji now in Osaka... a few days of diving southern Wakayama Prefecture with interrupta and today we visited one of the other captive narcosis... ironically on display in a doctor's office in Nara Prefecture! :) It's roommates are an amazing collection I'll share soon, but the only tankmate of the narcosis is an equally rare (and in fact moreso) Cirrhilabrus squirei...

What's yours with Mike? Share that collection!:celeb1:

Copps

jaa1456
12/02/2012, 05:03 PM
I think it is funny that this narcosis angel was actually offered for sale here in NJ before DD even got their hands on it. It wasn't an advertised fish, but a few people were contacted about this fish seeing if any of us wanted it. I passed as well as several others I know that it was offered to as well. I don't know the exact # of people that were notified about this angel, but a Lfs actually made the calls. This was roughly a week before DD had gotten ahold of it. Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to pics of it when it has aged for a few years.

copps
12/02/2012, 05:14 PM
I think it is funny that this narcosis angel was actually offered for sale here in NJ before DD even got their hands on it. It wasn't an advertised fish, but a few people were contacted about this fish seeing if any of us wanted it. I passed as well as several others I know that it was offered to as well. I don't know the exact # of people that were notified about this angel, but a Lfs actually made the calls. This was roughly a week before DD had gotten ahold of it. Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to pics of it when it has aged for a few years.

Why is this funny? It's well known Quality Marine got the fish. Like many of their rare single fish it was offered to many of their customers... and like many of their rare fish DD pulled the trigger.

humaguy
12/02/2012, 06:40 PM
Questioned that statement too...funny?
Thanks Copps....

jaa1456
12/02/2012, 09:32 PM
I said funny as in it was offered up to others before it was offered to DD. from what I was told DD didn't know about the fish initially until it was already being offered up. Also some of the prior posts make it seem like this fish was unattainable by anyone except DD.

auem
12/02/2012, 09:36 PM
I said funny as in it was offered up to others before it was offered to DD. from what I was told DD didn't know about the fish initially until it was already being offered up. Also some of the prior posts make it seem like this fish was unattainable by anyone except DD.

very unlikely....as plenty of people knew about the fish even before it landed in US(QM advertised it on their webpage http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Company-News/-Photo-of-the-Week---Centropyge-Narcosis-%2808/13/12%29)...more than two month before it was actually sold...perhaps you missed that or may be you think DD guys don't use internet...:cool:

mikegonzo
12/11/2012, 02:28 PM
Alright....I must confess...I have 3, yes that's right 3, green chromis!!!

auem
12/11/2012, 10:13 PM
Bugger....:rolleye1:

show us that fish...plus personatus...:fun2:

Tactics
12/12/2012, 11:35 AM
Alright....I must confess...I have 3, yes that's right 3, green chromis!!!

Mike, unless you're a 5'10" lingerie model, no one likes a tease. :lol2:

humaguy
12/12/2012, 11:48 AM
any pictures or new updates...
I heard the baby Personatus that made it to Connecticut and HOF last year has died...huge bummer...