PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic LTA

All6Fish
10/19/2012, 06:57 AM
One of our ALTA has a protruding mouth on it since yesterday, any idea why? We have had him for about 4-5 months and always seemed happy. Is this a sigh of splitting? or could it be stressed for some reason.

Rippinfrags
10/19/2012, 07:57 AM
You have a condylactis anemone, not an LTA/M. Doreensis. Condylactis do not naturally split. I am not sure what's up with its mouth.

All6Fish
10/19/2012, 08:06 AM
we bought two of them and LFS said they were both Atlantics, paid $15.00 for each? Not sure if I got a great deal because lack of knowledge at LFS or ripped off lol. Wish I knew what was up with his mouth.

seamonkey84
10/19/2012, 10:23 AM
Condy nems are cheap and hardy. However not a host to a clown if that's your plan later, and they usually do fine as long as you have reef lighting. It does take any new nem a while to adjust to a tank, if that mouth remains open then I'd be concerned. But even healthy nems look bad when they are pooping.

velvetelvis
10/19/2012, 12:52 PM
we bought two of them and LFS said they were both Atlantics, paid $15.00 for each? Not sure if I got a great deal because lack of knowledge at LFS or ripped off lol. Wish I knew what was up with his mouth.

Well, condys are Atlantic anemones--Condylactis spp. come from Florida and the Caribbean. $15 is about standard for them. But they aren't clownfish-hosting anemones (no clownfish in the Atlantic). "Long-tentacle anemone" usually refers to Marodactyla doreensis, an Indo-Pacific species that does host clownfish in the wild.

And this is why I wish the use of scientific names was standard in this hobby, because trade names are useless--and half the time the dealer doesn't really know anything about the animals either. Nothing aggravates me like asking the manager/owner of a store, "But what kind of wrasse is a twelve-banded frilly rockhopper wrasse?" hoping to find out a little more about an unfamiliar species--and getting a blank look and the response, "It's a twelve-banded frilly rockhopper wrasse!" :headwallblue:

ETA: To actually answer your question, I don't have any personal experience with condys, but yours look OK. My bubbletips anemones' mouths sometimes look swollen like that when they're hungry, so you might want to try feeding them some small, thawed pieces of krill.